sound equipment

jimi40

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:47 pm

Just wondering what people use or recommend to get the best vocal/acoustic sound. I currently have a Peavey PA system that includes a mixer and 2 speakers. I connect my guitars into a passive DI box using 1/4" instrument cables then into the mixer with XLR cables. I also use an Ibanex tube screamer with the gain turned all the way down and the level all the way up to get more volume. I am far from a professional but I like my toys and would love to be more educated in this area. Thanks

wiley

Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:08 pm

kanefsky

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:00 pm

One nice mic that I have which Muriel also uses is the DPA 4099G. It's a clip-on mic which is nice because you can easily move it from one guitar to another and it doesn't require any ugly modifications to the guitar. You can even buy different clips and use it on other instruments (piano, drums, violin, etc). You also have a lot of flexibility in how you position it to get the sound you want.

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/produc ... item=24343

--
Steve

kanefsky

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:02 pm

What do you know, here's Doug Young reviewing the aforementioned DPA mic:

--
Steve

wiley

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:32 pm

jimi40

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks, that's some good info.
Any suggestions on computer programs for recording?

thereshopeyet

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:36 am

Jimi

I came across an interesting site a while ago.
I hope you find it of interest.

Link - Bob Brozman LIVE Sound Hints

Dermot

:)

michelew

Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:05 am

Bump!

I've been rereading some of the great info on recording equipment that various members have posted over the years. I remember Wiley often chiming in with advice. Some of it went over my head at the time, or in one ear and out the other because I wasn't quite ready for it.

I'm looking at condenser mics and dynamic mics - instrument and vocals - at good quality but inexpensive recommendations. There are a fair few. Dynamic mics for voice in particular.

I thought I'd bump this in case others are interested in it again or now too.

Thanks Wiley and others.

M

Been reading some reviews too. Here's one reviewing USB microphones which I found interesting.

http://www.wirerealm.com/guides/top-10- ... icrophones

spinland

Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:18 am

Cool bump, great reading!

Lots to digest here but on a quick note: the Blue Yeti is the new mic I just picked up and thus far I'm rather happy with it. At just over US$100 it's also not terribly expensive for what you get.
M

spinland

Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:20 am

Spent the balance of this morning futzing with various two-mic setups, trying to put together a rig that properly isolates my acoustic from my voice. Aiee, still beyond my reach. The Yeti is so sensitive that even with the gain way down, in cardioid mode, and some filtering on the signal the natural sound of my acoustic drowns out my vocals. I had no idea my sweet old A&L was so loud. :blink:

Have to take a break right now for various reasons, but am working on using my "Woody" acoustic pickup for a direct link into my DAW and then trying again to keep the A&L from stealing the show. I'll post up a test video or twain when I can resume working on this.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic