More than one art ... show me yours, I'll show you mine

michelew

Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:15 pm

Ahhh! OK now I need coffee. :)

spinland

Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:40 am

Okay, gonna share another animated piece. Again, need some backstory as to why it's significant to me.

One of the "pride and joy" institutions in Utica, NY, my adopted hometown, is the F.X. Matt Brewing Company. It's the oldest brewery in New York State and one of the oldest in the country (founded in 1888). The titular founder traveled to Germany to learn his craft and bring an Old World brewing tradition to Upstate NY. In historical flavor, their baseline Utica Club pilsner was the very first beer served legally after the lifting of Prohibition (story has it the Matts had a rep in DC who telegraphed them the moment it was signed, and the trucks were already loaded and ready to roll to the pubs). Also, Jonathan Winters got his start here and was the voice artist for the series of famous (around here) black and white Utica Club TV commercials that aired during the 1950s. The characters were various beer steins (that you could buy, of course) and the main duo were (still are) called Schultz and Dooley.

As a German-American (on my mother's side) who lived there and hence am a complete beer snob, I was overjoyed to find a bit of the "old country" right in town, and i've been one of their most ardent fans. I saw the old commercials and decided my "calling card" when I paid them a visit and to pitch reviving the old stein commercials would be a CGI commercial of the most famous two, and featuring one of the original Jonathan Winters soundtracks.

I used my favorite local brew pub as the setting, did my thing, and this is still one of my most-fun and favorite creations. Oh, and it also landed me the gig. :side:

[video type=youtube]06yvnyGhp0U[/video]

wrsomers

Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:57 am

Nice one Spinny! Since you are a self professed beer snob, may I suggest this beer, which is my favorite brown ale. The brewmaster just happens to be in the family

http://blackhogbrewing.com/beers/granola-brown/

Bill

spinland

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:03 pm

That sounds delicious! I'm on the hunt! :side:

Mark

spinland

Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:50 pm

So, more static art.

Many, many moons ago, in my younger years when I could be called a "gamer," video games and all of that simply didn't exist. What we had were board games, tabletop miniatures games, and, of course, role-playing games like Dungeons & Dragons.

I loved a board game that was a kind of fantasy-infused version of Risk, set on a fictional island. There was the usual accumulating armies and trying to conquer adjacent territories, with the added spice of things like orcs who would multiply and make neutral territories harder to take over, a wizard who would bop around and enhance your armies, and a dragon who would bop around and devour them.

Fun stuff.

Inspired by the box cover art, I came up with this 3D image. I'm quite proud of the lighting and overall atmosphere of the result.

I call the piece "Wakeup Call" and the associated caption is, "So, you were planning to sleep in?"

I had it printed at high resolution onto canvas and framed, and that piece has been shown at several refereed art shows where it's universally been a hit with the staff. Here is the physical version on my studio wall where it hangs between showings:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic