holding a pick..

willem

Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:00 am

I'm still practicing to hold a pick,,its floating everywhere on a certain moment,,the finger under my thumb does not stay were it should stay,,should I tie that up,,

Willem

daryl

Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:24 am

Hi Willem, My pick rotates in my fingers when I strum. I tried using double-sided tape on the pick and that worked great but was a pain to deal with. I then tried "gorilla snot" and it worked too and is much simpler to deal with.

willem

Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:38 am

daryl wrote:
Hi Willem, My pick rotates in my fingers when I strum. I tried using double-sided tape on the pick and that worked great but was a pain to deal with. I then tried "gorilla snot" and it worked too and is much simpler to deal with.

That looks great,,,see if I can get it here in the Dutch..

http://www.gorillasnotusa.com/guitar-pi ... illa-snot/

willem

Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:44 am

violin rosin

RicksPick

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:55 pm

Willem do not worrie about it
It is nice to look for help
But your in good company
All those professional guitarist's out there do the same
Thats why they have several picks attatched to mic stands

RicksPick

willem

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:03 pm

RicksPick wrote:
Willem do not worrie about it
It is nice to look for help
But your in good company
All those professional guitarist's out there do the same
Thats why they have several picks attatched to mic stands

RicksPick

Oh Man I thought they dropped it to the fans....

Willem

ps Hair gel is amazing,,I just tryed it..

wiley

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:33 pm

willem

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:51 pm

wiley wrote:
Willem,

There are about as many types of picks (AKA Plectrums) in size, style, thickness, etc as there are guitars. Gets sort of personal too like strings and microphones.

Your problem (if it really is that) is common, the solution not so.

Technique - Neil has a lot on here about that, the depth of which you are 'striking' the strings is usually one big concern, simply put, the plectrum, while strumming, should 'glide' over the top of the strings. not go in them persay. Both on a downstroke and the upstroke. Saying that, the plectrum should be 'relaxed' and actually "give" (sort of wiggle) between the pinch point as the strum takes place, then go in the opposite direction of the next strum being ether up or down. This should happen in a 'natural' sort of way, if not, you are most likely holding with too firm a grip. Wrist twist - keeping the plectrum parallel with the strings and fretboard need happen (in most theories).

Biggest improvement for myself came as I learned (still learning) how to 'relax' while strumming. Tension in any way or part is detrimental.

There are a multitude of products out there, have been, like the violin talc mentioned. And there are picks are from all sorts of material, from Wood to Aerospace Plastics.

I had my BlueChip Flatpick at the IGC and my lesson, maybe Neil or Ness can chime in on it, at $35us plus a minimum of $5us shipping (One or one hundred, it's $5 shipping) it is a 'personal' thing.

As for two to try;

1) "GuitarMoose" - StickyGrips and SoftGrips, ($3us + shipping) these have a piece of foam attached to make the pick 'sticky' and/or soft, one thing I do like about them is the 'depth'. Put it this way, if your hitting the foam on the strings you are for sure 'digging' - IOW putting too much pick between the strings.Different gauges available (0.4mm to 1.0mm) and different materials. My preference is the 1.0mm Carbon Fiber "StickyGrip". If memory serves, I had some of these at the IGC and gave a few out. I actually 'found' these at Gruhn's in Nashville. Anyone?

2) "V-Picks" - at $4 > $5us (plus shipping) these are as close to the Blue Chip and Red Bear as I have found. Many different thicknesses and styles to choose. I gave some of these to Neil (Teachers Apple type of thing, our eldest is a teacher you know). Maybe Neil can chime in on these. (I've also given several to some local artist, all of whom now play with them!) Personal favorite (for now) - "Traditional Lite Blue Sapphire" - at 1.5mm it is a rather thick pick. One of Tommy E. first things is 'get rid of those thin picks'. I'm sure Neil uses a 1.0mm or thicker. The first thing you will notice on either The Blue Chip or The V is how slick and shiny they are. All I can say is the product motto for V-Picks is "Never loose your pick again" and it holds true. As true as it can be anyways. The heat from your fingers/hand reacts to make these picks 'sticky' in a way. While the Moose IS sticky by design these two look as if they would fly off. Even when the pick becomes a bit on the 'wet' side, I simply wipe the pick and my hands off with a micro fiber towel that I keep nearby.
THX Wiley,,MY thought on the problem is I think my index finger,,I start off with a nice curly but furter in the song it comes to be straight,,I work also on relaxing 'cos there I come far..

Willem

plantman

Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:55 pm

my solution to this "problem" is using a thinner guage pick. my current favorite is a .50mm thickness. I seem to be able to hold them in place while strumming, which is most of what I do. Maybe it works because I hold them more firmly and the thinner guage then glides better with my firmer grip - who knows. I experimented with different thickness and that is what I came up with. However, the thinner guages don't work well for flatpicking.

thereshopeyet

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:00 pm

Willem

I have a hard time picking up small / thin things.

The pick can move around but not as bad as it used to.
Sometimes I think you can hold on too tight which actually causes it to move around more.

I still glue 80 grit sand paper to Dunlop 0.6 picks, works for me.

Violin resin, good video, thanks.
I'll try that sometime.

Thanks for the tip.

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic