I- IV-V or I-V-vi-IV

willem

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:01 am

TGVanessa wrote:
You don't actually think that I meant it is that simple, now do you Willem?

I mean, you can write books about it, that's how many elements are involved. Music is more than a chord progression, all those songs show that.

But in the end, it ís just one simple chord progression..... :laugh:

Now what are your own thoughts?

willem wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:
:P

It aint that simple :ohmy: Vanessa,,its more than the melody added,,but its an important one,,, :unsure:

Willem
My own thoughts (learned) are all the things said in the replies,,,we could add dynamics, loud,soft,accents,,,,

Willem

thereshopeyet

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:12 pm

Willem

I've been thinking about this since you posted and don't really understand the question
as it's quite vague and as the other posts suggest many factors contribute to the successful
differnce between songs.

One thing I think contributes might be the placement of the V chord relative to the other chords to create tension
and the placement of the I chord to resolve the sound to a stable tonic sound.

That said.... I have no real idea how so many very different songs from only a 3 or 4 chord progression
other than the use of, as stated in earlier posts, timing changes, various strumming, fingerpicking, use of embellishments,
dynamics ( soft to loud and visa versa ), individual application of feeling, rhythm, the use of sustain and lack of sustain..........

How many more variables are involved I don't know as I don't have the practical experience to really suggest
an enlightened answer.

I may have totally misunderstood the question but from what I think the question asked I can't really see any straight forward answer.

Having thought about it for some time, it would be interesting to get some feedback from someone who does have such
experience.

Dermot

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic