Songs you'd love to hear performed by another artist/band

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:10 am

Songs you'd love to hear performed by another artist/band.
This could be taken seriously, as I do here, or more humorously (like David Cassidy singing AC/DC).

The First Time Ever I saw Your Face

Originally by Roberta Flack. Love to hear it done by Eva Cassidy

This one has me by the throat on line one. I think with Eva's voice, I'd be in tears by the end of the first syllable!

sbutler

Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:54 am

Yep, I agree. Eva would have knocked it out of the park.

MarkM

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:57 am

Interesting thought with Eva on this one Chris. However you can't beat perfection with Roberta on this song. I'm sure it would be very good though.

To be honest I'm having a very hard time trying to come up with a song that I would want another artist to do that I feel would be equal or better. Otherwise what's the point right?

MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:21 pm

Yes, its rare that a cover is better than the original Mark (Sinead O'Connor's, Nothing Compares to You, comes to mind) and I love the song by Roberta Flak, its just as I listened to it today, I really wanted to hear Eva's voice as she has something that touches my soul... and the song is so beautiful... it made me think of the first time I saw my daughter's beautiful face. Glad you are with me Scott! :-)

Hmmm, maybe a few more ideas turn up....

daryl

Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:27 pm

I can't think of any songs either. But I will say CSNY's "cover" of "Woodstock" and JT's "cover" of "You've Got a Friend" are way better than the originals (IMHO). And throw in the Beatles' covers of "Twist and Shout" and "Please Mr. Postman".

michelew

Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:26 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Songs you'd love to hear performed by another artist/band.
This could be taken seriously, as I do here, or more humorously (like David Cassidy singing AC/DC).

The First Time Ever I saw Your Face

Originally by Roberta Flack. Love to hear it done by Eva Cassidy

This one has me by the throat on line one. I think with Eva's voice, I'd be in tears by the end of the first syllable!

That would have been quite something I agree. I'm not sure it would have been better, but it would have been a heart-breaker.

Crazy - performed by K d Lang, I don't expect her to outperform Patsy, but I think she'd do a wonderful and also heart-breaking job.

M

willem

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:42 am

Eva was such a great artist...

Today I get in this song ''wicked game'' CI

I like to search the net (YT) for covers (not special by artists but more folks like us who are trying),

I do the search for finding how others goes around with melody and guitar playing and maybe its not like the orginal but I have a lot of fun and learn.

Example

Example

Example

And there are a lot more to find..

I think its a great song for you Chris... B)

Max

Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:47 pm

Although I think Lenard Cohen did a unique job of singing Hallalujah, Many artists have done it better.
Jeff Buckley
KD Lang
Imogen Heap
Rufus Wainwright
Just to name a few

Michele, Here's your wish. KD Lang sings CRAZY

michelew

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:58 pm

Thanks Max. That's quite a find. It's not quite the heartbreaker I was expecting, but WHAT a voice. I think the orchestration made this more upbeat than I was expecting it to be. I've seen her in concert and she can really tug on your heartstrings, like she did when she sang Crying in memory of Roy Orbison.

This is not the version I remember, but you get the picture.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:14 pm

Hey Max, great going finding shel's wish!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic