3rds, 4ths, 5ths, & so on

willem

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:18 pm

sbutler wrote:
TGNeil wrote:
Hi Gang,

A good way to look at intervals is remove any octaves and just confine it to a one octave scale, sort of like reducing fractions. Forget about anything over an octave, then check to see if the upper note is in the scale of the lower one. If it is, it's major or perfect depending on the number. Lagrima opens up with parallel thirds, some major, some minor.

Hopefully you have been looking at the recent segments of Guitar Geography.

Keep on digging!

Neil
So is it accurate to start with the E scale in Lagrima? I see four sharps in the key signature. So your saying E- F#-G#. I see a third there. Next is the F#-G#-A. I can see a third there. Then G#-A-B. I can see a third there. Dang octaves got in the way.

So The first set of thirds looks to me like it would be a Major Third. The second set looks like it would be a minor, because its only a half step from G# to A. The last set is one that confuses me as the half step is between the first two notes. Maybe that doesn't matter. If not, then it would be a minor as well. ?????

Scott
my knowledge is that you are right,, Neil also told that a chord(triad) is build out of thirds, a major third and a minor third,, the chord C for example is C-E-G,, from C to E is a major third,, from E to G is a minor third,, E to G follows E-F-G,,, E to F is a half step and this looks like your G# to A..and so on..

Willem

edit .. a major third has 4 half steps and a minor 3 half steps......my head hurts!!!!

thereshopeyet

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Here's a good video I came across, at the end she shows how to
simplify intervals ?

willem

Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:12 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Here's a good video I came across, at the end she shows how to
simplify intervals ?

wow Dermot. Good one. Got to save this.

tombo1230

Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:44 pm