3rds, 4ths, 5ths, & so on

sbutler

Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:21 am

So I'm setting here,thinking about the fret board Geometry stuff in Neils most recent lessons, and trying to apply it to songs I already have worked on. The first one that came to mind is "Lagrima".

If I'm getting this stuff correctly, Lagrima starts with two notes that are 5ths apart, then the next two are 4ths. Does anyone know this song? And can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track, or do I need to go back to the lessons?

Scott

willem

Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:49 am

I practiced that tune many moons back but can't remember how it starts of. But for your question! Do you know the note names?

Willen

TGNesh

Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:26 pm

Hmm...not really Scott, why do you think those are a 5th and a 4th?

sbutler wrote:
So I'm setting here,thinking about the fret board Geometry stuff in Neils most recent lessons, and trying to apply it to songs I already have worked on. The first one that came to mind is "Lagrima".

If I'm getting this stuff correctly, Lagrima starts with two notes that are 5ths apart, then the next two are 4ths. Does anyone know this song? And can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track, or do I need to go back to the lessons?

Scott

sbutler

Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:35 pm

Sorry guys, I should have been more detailed here.

The song starts with a series of two note chords. I guess you call them chords, even if they only have two notes.. Anyway, the first is E/G# index finger on E, pinky on G#. The second slide both fingers up, index on F#, Pinky on A. Slide again, index to G#, Pinky to B on the seventh fret. Then you go back to a B7 chord.

Scott

TGNesh

Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:50 am

Yes I looked at the sheetmusic, but I'm still wondering why you thought those were 5th's and 4th's apart. Just trying to follow your reasoning here. ;)

sbutler wrote:

The song starts with a series of two note chords. I guess you call them chords, even if they only have two notes.. Anyway, the first is E/G# index finger on E, pinky on G#. The second slide both fingers up, index on F#, Pinky on A. Slide again, index to G#, Pinky to B on the seventh fret. Then you go back to a B7 chord.

Scott

sbutler

Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:46 am

TGVanessa wrote:
Yes I looked at the sheetmusic, but I'm still wondering why you thought those were 5th's and 4th's apart. Just trying to follow your reasoning here. ;)

sbutler wrote:

Scott
Vanessa, I think I'm "OVER THINKING" the sharps and flats. E to G looks like a" third", with G being sharp I guess could make it augmented maybe? I don't know.
If that is true, then A to F# would be a sixth augmented? The same with the next two notes. B to G#.

Ultimately I guess as long as I can play it, It doesn't matter to me what its called. Just trying to apply what Neils lessons were teaching to an actual song to make since of it all.

willem

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:15 am

I think its a fourth- E-F#-G#(always thinkin in the scale , the E scale) not sure yet!

Willem

sbutler

Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:52 am

sbutler wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:

sbutler wrote:

Scott
Vanessa, I think I'm "OVER THINKING" the sharps and flats. E to G looks like a" third", with G being sharp I guess could make it augmented maybe? I don't know.
If that is true, then A to F# would be a sixth augmented? The same with the next two notes. B to G#.

Ultimately I guess as long as I can play it, It doesn't matter to me what its called. Just trying to apply what Neils lessons were teaching to an actual song to make since of it all.
Ok, I see where I made a huge mistake. I suffered from a rash of lunacy or something, but I was referencing the wrong notes. E to G is a 3rd. G# would be -----? Augmented???
F to A would be a 3rd. F# to A would be ?????
G to B would be a 3rd. G# would be ????

TGNesh

Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:12 am

Hey buddy, you're way into intervals, that's great!! :cheer:

From E to G is a third indeed, that is if there is only F in between (the note you're on is 1, the next letter of any sort is 2 and the next in this case G is 3, so that's a third). The first pinch in Lagrima is a bassnote, E and a G# on the top string, the distance between those two is even more than an octave. They call that a 'Compound Interval', while intervals smaller than an octave are called 'Simple Intervals'.

All in all, you could call this one a major 10th, if you will.

Hope this doesn't complicate it even more! :)

Which parts have you watched so far Scott?

TGNesh

Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:28 am

If you're thinking in scales, then you're talking about the degrees.

And then yes, in an E major scale, E would be 1, but G# would be 3, A would be 4.

But if we're talking about the distance between notes, the one you're on is 1, any step from there is ......well any interval.

In this case, the notes on the top string move in seconds (first measure), from G# to A, to B

the bassnotes also move in seconds, from E to F# to G#.

And again, the distance between the bassnotes and the notes on the top string are compound intervals, meaning bigger than an octave.

willem wrote:
I think its a fourth- E-F#-G#(always thinkin in the scale , the E scale) not sure yet!

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic