3rds, 4ths, 5ths, & so on

willem

Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:56 am

TGVanessa wrote:
If you're thinking in scales, then you're talking about the degrees.

And then yes, in an E major scale, E would be 1, but G# would be 3, A would be 4.

But if we're talking about the distance between notes, the one you're on is 1, any step from there is ......well any interval.

In this case, the notes on the top string move in seconds (first measure), from G# to A, to B

the bassnotes also move in seconds, from E to F# to G#.

And again, the distance between the bassnotes and the notes on the top string are compound intervals, meaning bigger than an octave.

willem wrote:
I think its a fourth- E-F#-G#(always thinkin in the scale , the E scale) not sure yet!

Willem
okay, back to the lesson. :blush:

Willem

sbutler

Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:57 am

Well yeah it complicates thing even more. :laugh:

I have only had time to seriously watch the first 6 segment. I've only touched on the other lessons. I've been gone a week.

Thanks Vanessa.

willem

Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:30 pm

sbutler wrote:
sbutler wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:
Yes I looked at the sheetmusic, but I'm still wondering why you thought those were 5th's and 4th's apart. Just trying to follow your reasoning here. ;)

sbutler wrote:
Vanessa, I think I'm "OVER THINKING" the sharps and flats. E to G looks like a" third", with G being sharp I guess could make it augmented maybe? I don't know.
If that is true, then A to F# would be a sixth augmented? The same with the next two notes. B to G#.

Ultimately I guess as long as I can play it, It doesn't matter to me what its called. Just trying to apply what Neils lessons were teaching to an actual song to make since of it all.
Ok, I see where I made a huge mistake. I suffered from a rash of lunacy or something, but I was referencing the wrong notes. E to G is a 3rd. G# would be -----? Augmented???
F to A would be a 3rd. F# to A would be ?????
G to B would be a 3rd. G# would be ????
aha now i see what your thought was E to G a third, but what is E to G#,,its raised, how do we call it when its raised a half step? I dunno, but its interesting and want to know.

Willem

willem

Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:32 pm

sbutler wrote:
sbutler wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:
Yes I looked at the sheetmusic, but I'm still wondering why you thought those were 5th's and 4th's apart. Just trying to follow your reasoning here. ;)

sbutler wrote:
Vanessa, I think I'm "OVER THINKING" the sharps and flats. E to G looks like a" third", with G being sharp I guess could make it augmented maybe? I don't know.
If that is true, then A to F# would be a sixth augmented? The same with the next two notes. B to G#.

Ultimately I guess as long as I can play it, It doesn't matter to me what its called. Just trying to apply what Neils lessons were teaching to an actual song to make since of it all.
Ok, I see where I made a huge mistake. I suffered from a rash of lunacy or something, but I was referencing the wrong notes. E to G is a 3rd. G# would be -----? Augmented???
F to A would be a 3rd. F# to A would be ?????
G to B would be a 3rd. G# would be ????
aha now i see what your thought was E to G a third, but what is E to G#,,its raised, how do we call it when its raised a half step? I dunno, but its interesting and want to know.

Willem

TGNesh

Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:42 pm

Willem, from E to G is a minor third (3 half steps), from E to G# is a major third (4 half steps). They're both thirds.

willem

Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:03 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
Willem, from E to G is a minor third (3 half steps), from E to G# is a major third (4 half steps). They're both thirds.
Ah, the minor third I had,, all that counting and give notes a number can be very confusing,, example C-cis-D-dis-E..these are lets say 5 letters but when we count half steps! Its 4.. :laugh: B)

but thanks it makes a lot understanding for me till this moment.

Willem

edit I should have know that E to G# is a major third 'cos its the second note in E chord and thats a major third and from that (G#) a minor third to B the third note from the E chord.

TGNesh

Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:43 pm

No Willem, it's 3 letters, not 5.

Like a D, a Db or a D# still have the letter D. A letter 'of any sort' as Neil puts it..

willem wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:
Ah, the minor third I had,, all that counting and give notes a number can be very confusing,, example C-cis-D-dis-E..these are lets say 5 letters but when we count half steps! Its 4.. :laugh: B)

Willem

edit I should have know that E to G# is a major third 'cos its the second note in E chord and thats a major third and from that (G#) a minor third to B the third note from the E chord.

willem

Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:18 pm

TGVanessa wrote:

Like a D, a Db or a D# still have the letter D. A letter 'of any sort' as Neil puts it..

willem wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:

Willem

of course, but I tryed to say when counting half steps C is zero(when counting from C to E.)

TGNesh

Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:55 pm

Sure, but this is confusing stuff for lots of guitarplayers/musicians in general, then you don't want to make it even more confusing, right? ;)

willem wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:

willem wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:

Willem

of course, but I tryed to say when counting half steps C is zero(when counting from C to E.)

thereshopeyet

Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:43 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic