How many vinyl records do you own?

tombo1230

Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:23 pm

My wife informs me that there are about 50 albums and about 50 singles in the loft. We don't have anything to play them on and my wife won't part with them. :blink: :)

Tom N.

jimcjimc

Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:57 pm

I have about 300 albums at home. I have a audio-technica turntable connected via line-in audio to my PC. As a background project, I am digitizing them with audacity. I have done about 60 albums so far. It is fun to hear some songs i have not heard in a while.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:35 am

I guess I have about 25 albums left Tom, I got rid of so much stuff around the time I joined TG (no connection) but couldn't part with my Moody Blues collection and a few other gems. Gave away my turntable too!

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:44 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I guess I have about 25 albums left Tom, I got rid of so much stuff around the time I joined TG (no connection) but couldn't part with my Moody Blues collection and a few other gems. Gave away my turntable too!
Hey found your record player mate...

Music Junkie

Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:54 pm

I still have about 25 albums on vinyl. Among them are:

Boston - Boston
AC/DC - Back in Black
Journey - Frontiers
REO SPeedwagon - You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish
Bill Cosby - Himself
Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (OST)
Star Wars - Audio Track w/inlay - probably listened to this one 500 times or more as a young kid....

I don't have anything to play them on these days, but I have digitized them. From time to time, I will play those files just to hear the popping and cracking......nostalgia....... ;)

TGNeil

Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:23 pm

Hi Gang,

As many of you know, I still have plenty of records, probably between 4000 and 5000. An unusual sideline is that just last week I bought a new release on vinyl for the first time since maybe Cloud Nine when it was new. I'll check on that. If you've been paying attention to tangential rambles in recent lessons you will know what record I'm referring to. If not, it will be on this week's News, maybe with a short basement tour.

There are still 4 turntables in the house as well, although only 3 work, The Technics with the perpendicular tone arm has always been like the cone of silence around here... I'll let old time American TV fans enlighten the rest of the world with that reference.

One of the hazards of keeping such stuff around is that people now bring me their collections, knowing I can't turn them down or throw them away. I evenly recently inherited a 5th turntable- one of the new generation USB compatible ones, which I don't need as I have hook ups from a couple stereos that feed into the mic in on my laptop which I have used to transfer many records to the digital world.

Love those pops and hisses!

Neil

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:22 am

5000 albums, that's a serious collection! So all the lost albums of the world will slowly gravitate to your cellar :-), like all those lost single socks!
There are still 4 turntables in the house as well, although only 3 work, The Technics with the perpendicular tone arm has always been like the cone of silence around here... I'll let old time American TV fans enlighten the rest of the world with that reference.
That would be Get Smart :-).

daryl

Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:26 am

Thanks for all the interesting responses. I was so hopeful that Neil would respond as I thought that he might have quite the collection.

Check out this NYTimes article that prompted me to start this thread: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/10/magaz ... share&_r=0

That guy (Zero Freitas) has "several million" albums.

Fred

Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:12 pm

I have somewhere between 150 and 200 Elvis Albums and maybe about 100 or so 45's/EP's etc - some original, some not. Some of the orginals are in frames and the rest are in sleeves. I do have a turntable - nothing fancy, one of the Pyle "all in one" units (plays vinyl, CD's, Ipod). The other vinyl from my youth was replaced by cd's.

Fred

michelew

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:46 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:
Hey found your record player mate...

Good one! :laugh:

It's funny to see this thread, because just last night I went down to my basement to see just what was there. I didn't count them, but I know there were several by the Moody Blues, some from Bread, and a Rare Earth. There were also a couple of Simon & Garfunkel discs, minus the jackets. I think those were someone else's decades ago, and somehow ended up mixed in with mine, just as I know some of mine probably went elsewhere over the years. (Hmm, perhaps inexorably drawn to Neil's collection . . . ;) )
Oh, yeah, I found a Gordon Lightfoot LP that I forgot I had.

The reason I went downstairs to take stock was seeing a video someone posted of a cat playing with the arm on a record player as the disk went around. By the end of it, the cat had parked itself on the turntable and was enjoying a 33[sup]1[/sup]/[sub]3[/sub] RPM ride. :laugh:

I should get a turntable, and see if I can listen to some of those once again. The jackets are in rough shape, but I think the LPs are okay.

"Rust never sleeps, and I've been up all night too."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic