Alternate tuning... no, not DADGAD and the like, I mean re-tuning A=440 Hz to A=432 Hz

neverfoundthetime

Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:51 pm

I posted some clips of Cymatics some time back and remain fascinated by the patterns sound produces. I am also very interested in the fact that we used to listen to music tuned to a different frequency, namely A defined as 432 Hz. It was changed (controversially) last century to A=440. I have read a lot of people saying the A=432 Hz is more healthy (healing) and connected to our souls than A=440 Hz. In fact, some say A=440 Hz is very negative and destructive. Hard to sort the esoteric from possible fact. However, if you check out the Cymatics in the video below you can easily see that A=432 Hz produces stronger and less fractures patterns than A=440 Hz. That's a good argument in favour of 432Hz. Some even argue it repairs DNA.

Recently, I thought it would be cool to tune my guitar to A=432 Hz. I thought it would be cool to have a tuner that could do that. Then, today, I noticed that my Guitar Toolkit app can do exactly that. So I tuned to 432Hz. It is slightly but perceptibly lower in tone and compared to normal tuning, out of tune. Everything is relative in music. Playing some familiar songs soon got me into the groove and I have to say, I really like it. I have always considered music to be healing and the vibration of the guitar on the chest to be a very good idea. So maybe I am now giving myself even better good vibrations.

Anyone one else want to try this out. Any comments on A=432Hz?

daryl

Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:10 pm

I have often tuned my guitar down a half step or a whole step to get (at least to me) a fuller sound with deeper/richer bass tones.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:21 pm

Yeah, me too but the vibrations would still be based on the A tone =440Hz. So the Cymatics would be the same fractured patterns. A= 432Hz is completely different.

daryl wrote:
I have often tuned my guitar down a half step or a whole step to get (at least to me) a fuller sound with deeper/richer bass tones.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:39 pm

I was hoping you'd look by Dan! What d'you think?

wrench

Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:28 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I was hoping you'd look by Dan! What d'you think?
First of all, the word synchronicity comes to mind, because I looked into 432 Hz recently after noticing Michael Chapdelaine posting some videos of classical pieces played on steel string where he is tuned to A432. On looking into it, I was surprised to find A440 is concert pitch only since 1953. I was even more amazed when I found I am always flat when tuning by ear at A440, but I can get very close with A432.

I'm not sure the Chladni patterns in the video do much more than demonstrate the tunings are indeed different. This would be useful, however, if one were looking to design a bracing pattern for A432.

A432 should settle down very responsive guitars (you know, like say, a BSG) since they are most certainly all braced for A440, and A432 will fail to drive higher order overtones. I'd have to work out the math, but the sympathetic vibrations and overtones will behave different in a guitar braced for 440 but tunes to 432.The lower string tension is easier on the fingers, too.

Darn it Chris. Now you have my curiosity going again.

By the way, a lot of tuners have editable frequencies for A. I use Snarks and a Korg, and they all do. I'm setting one to A=432 right now..........

And why are you watching YouTube? Don't you have an overdue video to make?

neverfoundthetime

Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:28 pm

Great to have you drop in Dan! Thought this may tickle your fancy.

I was wondering what the implications would be for the guitar itself. I shall be listening carefully to it as I don't want to lose those overtones and you are so right, this is a very responsive guitar indeed! The sustain is unbelievable.

Interesting to hear you say you are better at gauging A432 pitch by ear, I am looking for evidence of it being more natural to us. So far, I feel that singing to A432 is more natural to me and feels and sounds good to my ear. I think its better.

I feel the cymatic patterns do show that A432 is more complete, full, rounded and natural than A440. If I were painting or drawing or designing, I'd rather produce those patterns than the A440 ones. Its like using the 1:1.618 ratio, more pleasing to our mind's eye, a key ratio for so much of natures own patterns.

Yeah, I owe a video or two! I will attempt one this weekend, hopefully!

Chris

michelew

Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:31 am

Interesting.

Tommy Emmanuel tunes his A4 to 444 Hz as I understand it. ... Maybe that contributes to everyone being so excited when he plays. ;).

Why the change? I think I missed the reasoning, I'll reread.

I'll be interested to hear whether you stick with it Chris. Of course you'll need to convince others to join you when they play with you.

Good luck with the experiment.

Hi!

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:49 am

Hi Shel, good to have you back at TG after camp and hols. I hope you are suitably regenerated and inspired by your summer, er, winter. :)

Why the change? Experiment. I had read a bit about the concert standard being A432 and then getting change for no good reason and against the wishes of many of music's greats at the time. I also came across Cymatics and I also listen to a physicist called Nassim Haramein and his theories on resonance and I have always been interested in the effects of music on our well being. So, I was wondering if A432 was a healthier, more natural and nurturing way of listening to and playing music.

As for playing with others, yeah I (or they) can re-tune, but basically, I never play with anyone! I lost my 2 great music friends of the past 30 years recently. One died this spring the other I fell out with before I joined TG and in spite of several attempts to repair the relationship, that's dead and gone too. So, unless I hook up with a TG-er, its just me and the BSG!

Interesting about Tommy Emanuel. I'd like to see the Cymatic patterns his A444 produces.

michelew

Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:07 am

Hey Chris,

No good reason eh? Perhaps Neil can shed light on the issue.

I'm so sorry about your music friends. I remember reading about your friend that died recently, I have a few R names in my head (Ralph, Rudi?) but I can't recall his name. I remember the quick change capo story. :) Playing with people is wonderful. I really hope you find people you love to play with again. While you're still on this Earth there's hope.

Still...playing with the BSG should bring you joy all by itself.

Enjoy the experiment. Here's to a healthier mind.

M

neverfoundthetime

Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:43 am

Yeah, the view I read reckoned there was no good reason to change to 440 from 432.

It was Ralf who passed away in spring. I miss him.

Yeah, while we are still walking this Earth, there's hope :laugh:
For me, its not just having anyone to play with, its having friends to play with. I guess its time to go looking for.

Yeah, the BSG does bring joy, no doubt about it. Not many things really bring joy, but this does. That's why I am trying A432, maybe there's a boost to the joy factor?

Here's the difference in actual tone, Each tone is about minus 30 cents compared to A440 tuning, so its not far below regular tuning. For the pic I have re-set my app to tune at A440 so you can see the difference when I play the A string:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic