Alternate tuning... no, not DADGAD and the like, I mean re-tuning A=440 Hz to A=432 Hz

willem

Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:14 am

Interesting Chris,, like Daryl I love to tune down a whole step..

I often wondered why my tuner as the both 440 and 432hz.

Its A on the trebble E string fifth fret, right?

Willem

neverfoundthetime

Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:16 am

It doesn't matter which string Willem. If your tuner is set at A=432 then you just tune your guitar like you normally do but everything is now set to a slightly lower tone, it is about 30 cents lower for each string.

Edit: Ah. I need to say it is the A4 (A above middle C) which is tuned to ç40Hz or 432Hz. The A-string on our guitars is A2. so you are correct Willem, the A which you find on the high E string at 5th fret is the A4.

willem wrote:
Interesting Chris,, like Daryl I love to tune down a whole step..

I often wondered why my tuner as the both 440 and 432hz.

Its A on the trebble E string fifth fret, right?

Willem

unclewalt

Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:29 am

Music Junkie

Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:44 am

Interesting topic, Chris. I gt a bit confused, which is easy for me these days.... Is there a whole "range" that is considered A?????? If so, what is it? I'll have to do some googling....lol

I will certainly follow your progress, as it sounds very interesting!

Jason

neverfoundthetime

Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:47 am

Hi Walt. Yeah, these issues are not clear but we don't live in a world which is based on scientific fact. We live in a world where things are as they are and just because we can't prove something scientifically (yet) does not mean that it is not so. Ask Galileo and the Catholic church! There is a fact at issue in that there was a change from 440 to 432 for the A-standard. The question is why? You can see from the Cymatics video that A432 produces more complete and perfect shapes than A440. There is well-being in perfect shapes and ratios and vibrations in my book and I would refer to the Phi ratio, I:1.618 here. I am not able to argue all the issues well enough due to my inadequacies in physics but I do have a sense of what seems right and an imagination. As Einstein pointed out, sometimes "Imagination is more important than knowledge".

I will continue my experiment and I appreciate any interest and welcome contrary arguments just as I welcome any other points of view. Thanks for commenting!

Music Junkie

Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:50 am

Here is an interesting little bit, if I can get it to load....

Edit: Well, I guess not......

Maybe this link will work.....

www.wam.hr/sadrzaj/us/Cavanagh_440Hz.pdf

Also.....

wrench

Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:54 am

Music Junkie wrote:
Interesting topic, Chris. I gt a bit confused, which is easy for me these days.... Is there a whole "range" that is considered A?????? If so, what is it? I'll have to do some googling....lol

I will certainly follow your progress, as it sounds very interesting!

Jason
Jason, when you Google this, wear a ground wire. :laugh:

At A=440 Equal Temperament intervals are a whole series of ratios. When you set A=432 everything becomes 3:2, and all the notes become higher order harmonics of the 8 Hz natural frequency of earth. I'm not sure if we'll heal or explode! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: It is interesting to experience, though. Tune down a guitar and try it. I would recommend tuning down a A/E (small-waist) guitar instead of a dread to get the largest effect.

Music Junkie

Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:57 am

wrench wrote:

At A=440 Equal Temperament intervals are a whole series of ratios. When you set A=432 everything becomes 3:2, and all the notes become higher order harmonics of the 8 Hz natural frequency of earth. I'm not sure if we'll heal or explode! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: It is interesting to experience, though. Tune down a guitar and try it. I would recommend tuning down a A/E (small-waist) guitar instead of a dread to get the largest effect.
Dan: I do believe I will give it a go on my 000-15 this afternoon. I usually keep it in open D tuning, so I will just see how it sounds in open D at A-432.... ;)

Then, for my next experiment...... I will drink a huge beer........ :lol:

neverfoundthetime

Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:08 am

Hi Jason, no problem if there is any confusion, its up to me to make it clear what I am on about. I may make mistakes but I'm sure I'lll be corrected.

Since 1953, the A2 pitch (our A-string) has been referenced at 440 Hz. That's what we tune to. Before 1953 the A2 pitch was defined as 432 Hz.
You can define A2 as anything you want but you'll only be in tune with everyone else if you are tuned to the standard of the day, A=440 Hz.

I'm trying out A=432 Hz to see if it feels or sounds better because I have grounds to believe it may well be a more rounded, complete and healthy reference. Make sense?

here are some alternatives:
Philharmonic: A=433 Hz
New Philharmonic: 439 Hz
Concert: 442 Hz
Concert (Brighter) 445 Hz
Old Philharmonic: 452.5 Hz
Military: 457 Hz (interesting)

wrench

Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:10 am

Music Junkie wrote:
wrench wrote:

Dan: I do believe I will give it a go on my 000-15 this afternoon. I usually keep it in open D tuning, so I will just see how it sounds in open D at A-432.... ;)

Then, for my next experiment...... I will drink a huge beer........ :lol:
Excellent.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic