Simply silly ... Or bloody scary! - Happy Halloween

fjeanmur

Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:52 pm

michelew wrote:
Jean thanks for giving us a greater insight into Halloween and the Day of the Dead. That's really interesting.

I really had intended this tread to be a bit of fun, for those of you who dress up to share those images and stories with us. My comment about Halloween and Australia was not intended to disrespect your traditions. I sincerely apologize if any if you took it that way. It was really a comment about how American culture is being appropriated by Australia, more and more. And more specifically that here it seems to be a commercial push. Having said that, dressing up is fun and is absolutely a way of spending time with kids and getting to know your neighborhood better.

Brad - I'm sure you see a bunch of scary things working in a hospital. When bad things happen to kids it's especially horrible.

I'm sorry I worded my original post poorly and for any offence this thread has generated. I hope that those if you who celebrated Halloween enjoyed the silliness and the time with your friends and family.

Humbly

Oh my lord, Michelle!

I thought your post was in great fun! It was just the mention of darkness, etc., etc., in the one I quoted that made me want to add a little of something. Halloween is being appropriated in other parts of the world, like Christmas in Japan. It's not quite like the original, but that's OK. My comment was just meant to provide a "home" perspective for anyone who might not have an insiders' view.

BTW--I loved the dog costume!

Jean

Shel

michelew

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:00 pm

Phew! :) thanks so much for that Jean. I was of course worried that you might be offended, especially since Bob also removed his post and photo (though maybe that was For a different reason).

I guess the world really is a melting pot and that's not a bad thing.

Coco is pretty cute isn't she. :) I guess I should change my avatar now that I don't need her to scare off evil spirits any more. :)

Did you dress up? Got any stories from this year or another?

BobR

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:18 pm

Hi Michele,
I only removed mine because the picture would not load . I thought I would try again.

Hmm maybe the pic is too big

michelew

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:25 pm

Good to know Bob. Good luck. I'm very curious here.

I've found that you need to select the photo and ensure it is showing at the bottom next to choose image, before you select a place for the image to be inserted into the post. Of course it could just be too big as you say.

I'm preparing myself to be scared. :)

BobR

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:48 pm

Trying again

I hope it didn't scare you :laugh:

BTW this is my grandson and me . I am the big one :laugh:

michelew

Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:25 pm

Ahhhhhh! :ohmy: :woohoo: :ohmy:

Scarily fun! :) :) :)

Thanks for the grins.

Music Junkie

Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:18 pm

Shel:

Never be afraid to ask or let others know your opinion. There are many here in the US who don't like Halloween or what they think it stands for either. Heck, you can throw in Christmas and Easter too, but then you get into religion, and we all know where that can lead... :woohoo:

Halloween, at least for my friends and family, has always been about getting together and dressing in costumes, being silly and letting the kids have some fun while getting some candy. Not too deep.... It holds other meanings for other people. I am not one for blood and guts, so I don't really ever go there. I do enjoy a good haunted house from time to time. Opening the door to little tiny kids who can barely speak and hearing them try to say "Trick or Treat", while dressed up as little princesses or super heroes or whatever can melt your heart. Our neighborhood has lots and lots of kids, so it gets pretty busy on Halloween. I just enjoy seeing all the parents out with the kids and seeing those kids all excited about being out and having fun.

willem

Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:11 am

Music Junkie wrote:
Shel:

Never be afraid to ask or let others know your opinion. There are many here in the US who don't like Halloween or what they think it stands for either. Heck, you can throw in Christmas and Easter too, but then you get into religion, and we all know where that can lead... :woohoo:

Halloween, at least for my friends and family, has always been about getting together and dressing in costumes, being silly and letting the kids have some fun while getting some candy. Not too deep.... It holds other meanings for other people. I am not one for blood and guts, so I don't really ever go there. I do enjoy a good haunted house from time to time. Opening the door to little tiny kids who can barely speak and hearing them try to say "Trick or Treat", while dressed up as little princesses or super heroes or whatever can melt your heart. Our neighborhood has lots and lots of kids, so it gets pretty busy on Halloween. I just enjoy seeing all the parents out with the kids and seeing those kids all excited about being out and having fun.
In the Dutch we have carnaval.. :laugh: B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic