Simply silly ... Or bloody scary! - Happy Halloween

michelew

Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:02 am

Just in case the evil spirits come a-knocking, I've put my sentinel on the task of keeping my house safe.

She's my avatar too ... Just in case. Savage attack poodle.

I don't believe in OZ adopting US holidays. But, it is a good excuse for a dress-up. There were lots of people dressed up in Halloween outfits as I was coming home. So Happy Halloween for those of you who do mark this festival (or whatever the appropriate greeting is).

If any of you are dressing up and want to share, I say post it here.

Peace.

Shel

auntlynnie

Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:05 am

That's great, Shel - love your avatar!

Personally, I love Halloween - it is a chance to try on a different persona and I've certainly had fun over the years. The most memorable dress up we did was: 4 year old daughter Snow White, seven of us adults were the 7 Dwarfs, and my one year old son, wearing a red sweatshirt was the poisoned Apple.

Lynn

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:06 am

Scary dog Shel!

I never did "get" Halloween but the folks who don face masks of our insane political leaders make the best statement as these are the scariest ghouls ever! I'd probably don one with a smiling Tony Blair with those Ayatollah Khomeini arched eyebrows and carry a sign that says, "call me Tony".

michelew

Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:10 am

Lynn - thanks and that's a great story. Do you have a photo?

Chris - Yep - scary - those masks are scary all by themselves, but I'm sure you'd step up to "be" the creepiness.

Music Junkie

Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:27 am

Shel:

Americans will make a holiday/celebration for ANYTHING!!!!! If you can market it correctly, and make money, it will become a national holiday.....lol

That being said, Halloween is one of my favorites. As a kid, it was awesome to dress up and get candy.... Come on, how can that not be great! As an adult, I love to see the little kids all dressed up. It's very fun.

We are actually hosting a costume party tonight at our house. Since it falls on a Friday this year, the kids don't have to go to bed early. Yay! I will be barbequing some tri-tip, sausage, chicken and steak skewers.... We will have a nacho bar and assorted other goodies to munch on. It should be fun. Our neighborhood kind of goes all out. We all sit out front with music playing and we visit as the kids come around to all the houses. Most folks dress up and there are even a few haunted houses from time to time.

Is the celebration for anything important? No, but it sure can be fun.. ;)

Jason

michelew

Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:46 pm

Hey Jason,

That sounds like a heap of fun. YEH it's especially fun seeing kids enjoy themselves and playing make believe.

Have a great time. :)

M

rapsidy

Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:45 am

I dont know much about halloween- but your dog is really scary :woohoo:

Hmm Americans must make the day more family orientated

Personally Im with you Shell dont agree with Halloween or more to the point how Australians interpret it. I can't see teaching kids that death , blood knives skeletons etc.. is a good thing or okay.. maybe im just a prude and value positive things in life rather than dabble in the darkside :unsure:

especially when a child was hospitalize from eating something they were given, the world has change and there are a lot of evil people out there..

thats why ... always look on the bright side of life :)

BobR

Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:31 pm

fjeanmur

Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:09 pm

rapsidy wrote:
I dont know much about halloween- but your dog is really scary :woohoo:

Hmm Americans must make the day more family orientated

Personally Im with you Shell dont agree with Halloween or more to the point how Australians interpret it. I can't see teaching kids that death , blood knives skeletons etc.. is a good thing or okay.. maybe im just a prude and value positive things in life rather than dabble in the darkside :unsure:

especially when a child was hospitalize from eating something they were given, the world has change and there are a lot of evil people out there..

thats why ... always look on the bright side of life :)
Greetings from the US!

Halloween, of course, is just part of our tradition, our culture, whose roots are European, but the celebration with the masks and candy is uniquely American.

Halloween can be a very family oriented celebration, though. The excitement for costumes and candy and "who you are going to be for Halloween" is part of our ritual of welcoming fall. In our neighborhood, for example, we have a "Halloween Walk" which starts off with a neighborhood gathering with cookies, apple cider and the like, and as it gets dark, the kids go off into the neighborhood for a night of safe trick or treating. If the kids are old enough, they go by themselves and the parents continue the social. If they are younger, the family goes together.

Compare this with the Latin American celebration of the "Days of the Dead." This goes on at more or less the same time as Halloween, but the celebrations take place in homes with altars dedicated to departed family members and in cemeteries throughout the night and day. I think the sight of the Mexican "catrinas" (skeletons dressed in all sorts of costumes can seem quite creepy) until you realize the celebration is part of a very ancient tradition which emphasizes that the need to maintain ties with departed loved ones is an important part of life. The "catrinas" are also an example of the Mexican sense of humor in attempting to mock the inevitable. The "Days of the Dead" may seem dark, but it's an important part of a culture that people in other parts of the world may find hard to understand.

So one might not "agree" with celebrations such as Halloween, Arbor Day or Cinco de Mayo for that matter (to name just a few in this hemisphere). While people can be evil, these celebrations are not. I think that such celebrations bring people and communities together in positive ways and indeed are forms of looking on the "bright side of life."

Cheers!

Jean

michelew

Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:42 pm

Jean thanks for giving us a greater insight into Halloween and the Day of the Dead. That's really interesting.

I really had intended this tread to be a bit of fun, for those of you who dress up to share those images and stories with us. My comment about Halloween and Australia was not intended to disrespect your traditions. I sincerely apologize if any if you took it that way. It was really a comment about how American culture is being appropriated by Australia, more and more. And more specifically that here it seems to be a commercial push. Having said that, dressing up is fun and is absolutely a way of spending time with kids and getting to know your neighborhood better.

Brad - I'm sure you see a bunch of scary things working in a hospital. When bad things happen to kids it's especially horrible.

I'm sorry I worded my original post poorly and for any offence this thread has generated. I hope that those if you who celebrated Halloween enjoyed the silliness and the time with your friends and family.

Humbly

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic