Headphones

daryl

Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:40 am

What kind of headphone/earbuds do you use to listen to music? Freebies? Cheap? Decent? or High-end? How many do you have? Opinions and/or thoughts? Thanks.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:44 am

Bose Quiet Comfort 15 noise cancelling headphones. Love em! Listening on a train or bus or anywhere with background noise with these makes a world of difference, that's for sure. And telephoning with them is so much better, I can actually hear the other person on the line in spite of the ambient noise around me. For men over 45, essential as we start to lose our ability to differentiate between foreground and background noise (brain function not ear function - we hear with our brains).

Best 300 bucks you can invest IMHO. Comes with a very useful carrier box so I can keep spare batteries and my mp3 player in it to and it fits nicely into my sport/work rucksack.

wiley

Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:03 pm

daryl

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:40 pm

Wiley (and others), Do you have an opinion about these:

Thanks!

wiley

Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:25 pm

daryl

Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:00 pm

Thanks Wiley. I was hoping for that sort of thing from you. Good info and thoughts. My problem is that I live in the sticks and these kinds of things aren't available for me to "try out". And I definitely get the "what sounds good to one person may not sound good to another" sort of thing. What to do what to do...... :-(

wiley

Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:06 pm

michelew

Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:14 am

I've got several different types of headphones. I've considered getting a pair of good Bose headphones, but I'm reluctant to do so because I have a couple of furry sweeties in the house who zealously protect me from all manner of threat.

SNAKE!

These were Sennhieser HD205 DJ headphones that I really liked. They enabled me to fold one side up so I could listen to a track AND listen to myself play too. They were pretty cheap for the sound too.

These are ones that I find really useful now, Planetronics Backbeat Fit. Also know as a BANANA SNAKE!

I like these because they are wireless using Bluetooth, lightweight and the let outside noise in. The sound is no where near as good as headphones that encompass your ear completely. But, they allow me to hear myself playing and listen to a track simultaneously. They are also great for listening to music while doing other things without getting tangled like gardening, recording, cooking and cleaning and exercising.

Planetronics are sending me a replacement earpiece cover, so they will be resurrected.

I'm currently using a set of Sony earphones, but the cord is too short for some of the things I use them for.

Daryl, if you do get the set you're considering, I'd love to hear what you think of them. I'd love to find a great set that are reasonably priced. Being able to replace the cord is attractive to me too, .... just I n case I leave the room for a microsecond without putting them somewhere safe and my pups suddenly decide they look like .... A SNAKE!

:)

tombo1230

Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:29 am

This is an interesting thread and I agree with a lot that has been said.

What you hear is only as good as the weakest link. What is the purpose of your proposed purchase? (Not easy to say :) )

Other things to consider might be how good are your ears? As we get older our hearing drops off on the high end of the scale. Most headphones probably have a response curve that goes up to 18 or 20K. 20Hz to 20Khz is the range that a healthy young person can hear. I suspect that a lot of people can't hear all the frequencies at the higher end due to listening to music that is too loud for instance, or a drop in response due to other factors, age etc.

Another factor would be what quality of sound are you listening to? If you are listening to mp3's there are various types: ''The lower the bit rate, the more information the encoder will discard when compressing the file. Bit rates range from 96 to 320 kilobytes per second (Kbps). Using a bit rate of 128 Kbps usually results in a sound quality equivalent to what you'd hear on the radio''. (Quote:Marshall Brain)
Personally, I mostly listen to CD quality. I believe I can hear the difference.

I know this doesn't really answer the question about whether the headphones are any good, but it might give you food for thought.

Here's a little test for anyone interested: You might find this interesting. :)

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_fr ... ecklow.php

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_fr ... ckhigh.php

Tom N.

daryl

Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:29 am

Thanks for the input (so far) everyone! Damn dogs. :-( Tom, I tried your audio test files. I could easily hear 20HZ but only started to hear the upper frequencies somewhere between 12k and 13k but I suppose my results were effected by the headphones I was using. I'll try another pair later.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic