If you had to perform in public today, how many songs could you do?

sandysue

Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:38 pm

I have about 20 songs at a time on my playlist that I actually have memorized. If I had to perform them in public I would totally forget at least half of them just from the fear and performance anxiety. The other 10 would be pretty sketchy for the same reason.

I guess I just need to create an opportunity to play more often in public, and get out of my own head while I'm up on stage. :S

Sandy

auntlynnie

Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Great question, Dennis.

I recently was asked to play background-type music set for a dinner for a small organization that I volunteer with. I realized that many of the fingerstyle pieces that I play are fairly short, so I paired many of them and realized that I could start with one, transition to the second, and sometimes even transition back if I needed to draw the set out longer.

My total was 26 that I have memorized and know pretty well. Am I happy with my playing on all of them? No. But I'm still working on them.

At the last minute a professional pianist offered to play and I was off the hook. I can't decide if I was more relieved or disappointed. The positive is that I got a solid month of practice in, and that is definitely paying off. I'm feeling better about my skills.

Lynn

Music Junkie

Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:06 pm

Dennis:

I highly agree with the philosophy of overcoming the fear by doing it more often. Getting up on stage last year at camp was terrifying. It was the first time I had ever done something like that. When I was done, I was flooded with relief, and a little bit of pride. The pride certainly did not stem from doing a good job, but it was because I had actually gotten up there. Then, for some crazy reason, I let Wiley talk me into going up again as a duo. That was much easier than sitting up there alone. Plus, the other people there are amazingly supportive, like you mention about the open mic nights. I think most people are fighting their own fears, or can remember when they were. Some of the more experienced players were the first to congratulate everyone as they came off of stage. Amazing group of people.

Hell, one of the reasons I went to camp the first year was because I was forcing myself to play with others and get out there. I did not make it up on stage that year, but I did get over the fear of playing around others. It ended up being one of the most fun things I have done in years. I remember when you were first starting the open mics, and you made a point of talking about facing the fears and doing so repeatedly, until they did not bother you as much. I don't know where that thread is these days, but I remember your point sticking with me. I am so glad to see that you have stuck with it and made such progress. Dan as well! Love those stories. It is highly encouraging and inspirational.

J

michelew

Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:50 pm

DAMN good question! So good in fact that it reminds that I need to get back to working on my New Years' resolutions.

One of the first things I lose after memorizing a song is the lyrics. If I couldn't have a chord sheet or at least lyrics and had to rely completely on memory without refreshing anything first ... Hmmm maybe 4 or 5 .... And I'd want to play some on my uke.

Good question. Good reminder.

Keep them coming.

Shel

Hydroman52

Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:34 pm

Hey Dennis,

Out of the 44 songs in our set list for a party our band is playing at this weekend, I could probably only do about 21 without my notes in front of me. If I’d have to play it all note-for-note like the original recording and not make any mistakes, that number drops to zero.

Honestly, I’ve given up trying to perform without my music sheets. I’ve seen many professionals that are more skilled than I am use a music stand, tablet, or ipad to keep their place, and I’ve come to realize . . . . Hey, what makes me so special? At my age, I need to commit more important things to my limited memory like where’s the bathroom, and, how do I use it?

That number of 21 or so will probably remain the same or drop a bit as time goes on, because we are constantly learning new material and dropping stuff that we’ve been playing for a while. It can be a bit confusing learning all the new lyrics, harmonies, dynamics, alternate tunings, which guitars to use on what songs, etc. while keeping everything in sync with a bunch of other people. Sometimes a beer or three helps with all that.

Hydroman52

jcrocket

Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:33 pm

The last couple years I've been keeping a list of songs that I would be ok playing solo. Right now that's up to 238 songs. Of those, I'd estimate that 1/3 of them would be no problem playing right now, 1/3 might need a little polishing or revisiting the lyrics, and 1/3 I'd need to spend a bit more time on to have them gig-ready.

Memory is a funny thing. I'm still able to remember lyrics and chords to most of these without any visual aids, but if I didn't have tools to continually remind me of important meetings and appointments, I'd be totally lost.

As long as I don't forget where I need to be Sept. 2nd......

Jeff

michelew

Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:47 pm

WOW!

I was already blown away by some other people's numbers. I can't conceive of holding that many songs in my head.

wrench

Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:39 pm

I'm in the 20 neighborhood right now. Looking at my sheets, I think I've learned about 120 over the last 6 years, and I think I've noticed something kind of weird. When I get into intensely working a single difficult piece, it seems to wipe my memory of the current repertoire.

Jeff, how can you claim you know 238 songs? :angry: You played about 650 at camp last year! :silly: I want your autograph man. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Music Junkie

Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:47 pm

Well.... Having played with Jeff at the last two IGC's, I can attest to his memory.... I had songs in my books that happened to be in different keys than he knew them in, and he played them like he had been doing it for years. Jeff is just one of those guys who gets it. 238 does not surprise me one bit. He seemed to know every song that everyone wanted to play. Then john knew all the lyrics to everything that was played. Between the two of them, it was impressive!

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:14 pm

Well I was pondering this a couple of nights back Dennis (maybe it was last night even!) and I fell asleep by the time I got to about 28 trying to be as honest as I could. Several things have caused me to think differently about this subject over the past few years at TG. I'd rather go for more quality now. I now don't really consider a camp-fire version good enough and expect myself to strive for more quality in the songs I play but can't always get to the proficiency I'd like so that makes me reconsider a few I can only do as camp-fire versions. I am starting to forget lyrics too. I was up at 180 songs I thought I could do in a simple form but I'm now backing away from that. Last few years have taken its toll on my short-term memory and RAM and energy so I'll guess at something a little over 28 but may be able to do more if there's some coffee around! B)

Very impressed by Jeff and John. I can identify with what Hydro is saying, it really makes sense to have some notes and crutches around most of the time as you can relax a little if you know there's some help if you suddenly lose track. I'll have an opportunity in a few weeks time to see where I stand, I'll let you know how it goes.... :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic