Busking Van Morrison (open-mic performance)

dennisg

Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:53 am

Not long ago, I was noodling around with Into the Mystic, a song that hasn't been on my radar for about 45 years. It's typically played in the key of C, but for some reason I decided to try it out in open-D, and I sort of liked what I heard. Three days later I performed it live at this open mic at Seattle's Treehouse Lounge ... amid all the noise and general hubbub you'd expect in a bar.

Lavallee

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:16 am

Excellent performance Dennis, you look very comfortable looking around at the crowd. The drop D was a good idea. You did exploit the low sound base enough that it remained present without abusing it. Nice picking too

I like it it, the crowd liked it too.

Marc

jayswett

Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:17 am

Well done, Denis. I do love that song, and it's been on my list for a while now. I thoroughly enjoyed your video.

buddy

Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:21 am

I was just thinking, I wonder how Dennis is doing as I have not seen him on TG and here you are playing this lovely tune. Well done ! Bud

Craig

Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:31 pm

Nice performance Dennis! The deep bass sounded great. What I liked best was the confidence in your playing and singing! It really came across well. The fluctuation in your playing and vocals added a lot of depth to the song. Great job all the way around.

Craig

michelew

Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:44 pm

VERY nice Den! I like your interpretation. The riff/vamp you're using on the guitar is very effective and the slides and other stuff in the interlude is particularly sweet.

I wish I'd been there. I'd be hootin' and a hollerin' with the rest of the audience.

Xxx
Shel

:kiss:

neverfoundthetime

Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:40 pm

That sounded terrific Dennis! Another unusual gem which you did honour to and got it to work so well in Dropped D.
And played to a live audience, that's a bigger ball game than recoding it in your lounge, that's for sure! Nice one!

Chris

dennisg

Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:13 am

Marc: Thanks very much. I've been doing a lot of open mics lately, so if I look comfortable, it's probably the absence of panic you're seeing.

Jay: Very nice of you to say. Whether you do it in its original tuning (standard, played in C major) or some oddball tuning like mine, it's very fun to play.

Buddy: Yeah, I'm very rarely here anymore, and even when I do log on, I usually confine my activity to Vanessa's lessons.

Craig: By "fluctuation" I'm understanding you to mean the difference in intensity or dynamics in various parts of the song? Am I right about that? If so, it's funny you'd mention that because I recently attended a week-long guitar camp here in the Seattle area. I took a class called Stagecraft that was all about how to prepare and perform in live situations. I played a song for the class, and the only comment the instructor had for me was to vary the dynamics through the song, which I think I successfully accomplished when I performed for the entire camp. It's stuck with me, as evidenced by your comment about Into the Mystic. Thanks very much.

Michele: You have no idea how much I wish you'd been there. And at camp. And everywhere else. The real challenge for me in this song was to figure out something to do in that musical interlude to replace all the saxes and other instruments Van Morrison has wailing for several barres.

Chris: Thanks so much -- I really appreciate it. A lot of people see me do that song and think I'm tuned in Drop-D, but it's really Open-D ( D-A-D-F#-A-D), a tuning that can yield some sweet sounds on occasion.

Craig

Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:40 am

Dennis,

That's exactly what I meant! I just couldn't come up with a better term than "fluctuate". It really added depth and emotion to the song.

I'm very happy for you in the confidence you have gained in performing live! It comes across, and it's very cool! Congratulations!

Craig

BobR

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:48 pm

Hi Dennis,

Very nice performance on a tune I haven't heard for some time. I really enjoyed your take on it. :)

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic