4/4 vs 3/4 fingerpicking accompaniment?

willem

Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:00 pm

TGNeil wrote:
Hi Willem,

Sorry I did not address your first question. Generally in 3/4 you use a 6-note arpeggio like I mentioned would work for Time In A Bottle. There might be times when an alternating bass pattern could be used but you would usually hit the same bass note on beats 2 and 3. Moloka'i Waltz is an example of this.

Neil
no sorry Neil, you gave a sort of answer already but the more examples (songs) I get the more I will dive into it and will look at those songs.

Thanks

Willem

sandysue

Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:21 pm

Well now that I have unknowingly stirred up the pot, I will just add that I find it especially hard to sing and play Angel at the same time. except when I play along with Sarah Mclaughlan, and then she drown's me out quite nicely. I've tried strumming a 3/4 beat at times and mostlyI I've fingerpicked a 6/8 arpeggio. The timing or cadence or something seems a little bit off, or it could just be me. :S Of course Sarah M. sings this song a little on the free range side anyway so I'm anxious to know what the real answer is. :P

sandy

michelew

Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:41 pm

TGNeil wrote:
Hi Gang,

To add fuel to the fire...

Having just listened a little more carefully, I will go out on a limb and say Angel is not in either 3/4 or 6/8. Let's leave it here for a little bit and see what else you might come up with.

Neil

P.S. Think about similar songs by The Moody Blues and Pink Floyd, and see if you can guess what songs I am referring to.

It definitely feels like a compound time signature. Counting in groups of threes feels right. I may be completely off track... But I'm wondering whether it might be a slow 12/8.

I don't know which Moody or PF songs you're referring to.

M

Edit: I just listened to Chris' latest upload of Nights in White Satin; which is also in a compound time signature, 12/8 I think. And now I'm thinking that this is one of the songs you may have been referring to Neil.

M

TGNeil

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:34 pm

michelew wrote:
TGNeil wrote:
Hi Gang,

Having just listened a little more carefully, I will go out on a limb and say Angel is not in either 3/4 or 6/8. Let's leave it here for a little bit and see what else you might come up with.

Neil

P.S. Think about similar songs by The Moody Blues and Pink Floyd, and see if you can guess what songs I am referring to.

It definitely feels like a compound time signature. Counting in groups of threes feels right. I may be completely off track... But I'm wondering whether it might be a slow 12/8.

I don't know which Moody or PF songs you're referring to.

M

Edit: I just listened to Chris' latest upload of Nights in White Satin; which is also in a compound time signature, 12/8 I think. And now I'm thinking that this is one of the songs you may have been referring to Neil.

M
Bingo!

Also, Shine On You Crazy Diamond and Lucky Man fall into this category. The key is to look for equally stressed groups of 3 beats. Is it 1, 2 or 4 equal groups?

Neil

TGNesh

Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:41 am

Willem, you say you don't feel 3/4 or 6/8, so how many beats dó you feel in a measure?

I definitely feel 6 (accents on 1 and 4), what about you?

willem wrote:
TGNeil wrote:
Hi Gang,

Neil

Mother by PF?

When I listen to SM angel I never got the feel of 3/4 or 6/8,, I still can't feel it in the accompaniment, can we put a tick tack on it?

For my question,, I looked back at your 101 fingerpickin and saw so many possibillitys (patterns)in the 4/4 time that it made me curious a bout patterns for 3/4 but seems it is less but I am pleased with the answers and the hijack :laugh: :laugh: B)

Willem

willem

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:12 am

TGVanessa wrote:
Willem, you say you don't feel 3/4 or 6/8, so how many beats dó you feel in a measure?

I definitely feel 6 (accents on 1 and 4), what about you?

willem wrote:
TGNeil wrote:
Hi Gang,

Neil

Mother by PF?

When I listen to SM angel I never got the feel of 3/4 or 6/8,, I still can't feel it in the accompaniment, can we put a tick tack on it?

For my question,, I looked back at your 101 fingerpickin and saw so many possibillitys (patterns)in the 4/4 time that it made me curious a bout patterns for 3/4 but seems it is less but I am pleased with the answers and the hijack :laugh: :laugh: B)

Willem
I will give it a ear- look again.

Wilkem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic