4/4 vs 3/4 fingerpicking accompaniment?

willem

Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:10 pm

Are 4/4 songs more suitable for a fingerpicking accompaniment then 3/4 songs ( not 6/8 ),, in Neils 101 fingerpicking course he only talks a bout 6/8, ?

Willem

sandysue

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:40 pm

Hi Willem

Im not sure of the answer but when I learned Angel by Sarah M. from Neil, I learned it as a 6/8 arpeggio. I think Ness taught it as 3/4 combination of soft strumming, and finger picking to imitate the piano. Either way it sounds really good.

Sandy

TGNeil

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:57 pm

Hey Gang,

So whether a song is in 3/4 or 6/8, it can have a 6-note arpeggio pattern. The difference is whether there are 3 accents or 2. In 3/4 there are three and in 6/8 there are two. Of the six eighth notes involved in either time, in 3/4 you accent 1, 3, and 5 of the six, and in 6/8 you accent 1 and 4 of the six. House Of The Rising Sun is in 6/8 and Time In A Bottle is in 3/4. I always refer people to America from West Side Story as the definitive example of the difference. Thank you Maestro Bernstein!

Neil

TGNesh

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:14 am

I wish I could redo that lesson Sandy. To me, Angel is absolutely an 6/8 song (which I point out in the right hand segment), and according to what Neil says, that's correct. The only reason why I wrote it out in 3/4 after all, is because ALL sheet music out there do so. And I didn't want to be a know it all. :S ;) Looking back, I simply should've trusted my own view and check with Neil to make sure.

Again, 6/8 it is! :)

sandysue wrote:
Hi Willem

Im not sure of the answer but when I learned Angel by Sarah M. from Neil, I learned it as a 6/8 arpeggio. I think Ness taught it as 3/4 combination of soft strumming, and finger picking to imitate the piano. Either way it sounds really good.

Sandy

thereshopeyet

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:57 am

Hello Folks

What great explanations, that helps me out too. :ohmy:
Thanks.
:)

Vanessa Wrote:
........And I didn't want to be a know it all.
Ah, but we love you :blink: BIG head and all !

Go on Go on Go on..... do the lesson again :dry:

:laugh: :laugh:

Neil and Vanessa back stage !!!
Who's Who though !
:ohmy:

fjeanmur

Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:01 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Folks

Vanessa Wrote:

:laugh: :P :angry: :ohmy: :) :side: :laugh:

TGNesh

Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:10 am

Whahaha! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well....despite the fact that Neil is my mentor, teacher and musically the authority (so I just always listen ;) ), there are a féw times that I felt that I had it right, instead of him, which I thankfully was in those few times. Phew! :blink: :lol:

He wasn't convinced easily though, so.....not sure who would be who in the picture! :dry: :laugh: :laugh:

Edit: Hmmm.....he must be the one to the right, I mean, he dóes know a hell of a lot more than I, period, no matter if I would find him a know it all. :P He's the guru! B) And I'm the...... ?! You tell me! :laugh: B)

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Folks

Thanks.
:)

Vanessa Wrote:

Who's Who though !
:ohmy:

TGNeil

Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:08 pm

Hi Gang,

To add fuel to the fire...

Having just listened a little more carefully, I will go out on a limb and say Angel is not in either 3/4 or 6/8. Let's leave it here for a little bit and see what else you might come up with.

Neil

P.S. Think about similar songs by The Moody Blues and Pink Floyd, and see if you can guess what songs I am referring to.

willem

Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:27 pm

TGNeil wrote:
Hi Gang,

To add fuel to the fire...

Having just listened a little more carefully, I will go out on a limb and say Angel is not in either 3/4 or 6/8. Let's leave it here for a little bit and see what else you might come up with.

Neil

P.S. Think about similar songs by The Moody Blues and Pink Floyd, and see if you can guess what songs I am referring to.
Mother by PF?

When I listen to SM angel I never got the feel of 3/4 or 6/8,, I still can't feel it in the accompaniment, can we put a tick tack on it?

For my question,, I looked back at your 101 fingerpickin and saw so many possibillitys (patterns)in the 4/4 time that it made me curious a bout patterns for 3/4 but seems it is less but I am pleased with the answers and the hijack :laugh: :laugh: B)

Willem

TGNeil

Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:39 pm

Hi Willem,

Sorry I did not address your first question. Generally in 3/4 you use a 6-note arpeggio like I mentioned would work for Time In A Bottle. There might be times when an alternating bass pattern could be used but you would usually hit the same bass note on beats 2 and 3. Moloka'i Waltz is an example of this.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic