Poll inside: What sort of forum do you want to have? And what don't you want to see?

michelew

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:55 pm

wiley wrote:
Shel, i think you hit the nail on the head:

What a wonderful song Wiley and a mantra to live by. Thanks for the gift.

michelew

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:02 pm

Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread and voting. It's great to see so much common ground on the things we enjoy and the things we don't. There are lots of fun ideas in here. I guess it's up to us all to continue to support the things we like to see and enjoy. The 3 or 4 chord song challenges and all of the other busking challenges and song writing challenges too are classic examples of things that have been so much fun to get involved in and really positive for all involved. Keep the ideas coming and put them into action when you're inspired to do so. It's our forum. We're all responsible for it being the sort of forum we want to keep coming back to.

Thanks again.

Michele

spinland

Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:30 am

Thanks for the opportunity to sound off! B)

I know I'm a comparative newcomer here but what I see is, not just a schoolroom, but a family. To me that means now and then sharing more than just how we're doing on the latest song we're struggling with.

Sure, there are limits, both of propriety and of good taste, but still.

Mark

wrsomers

Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:57 am

OK, I've waited to give my opinion on this. I think most everything if done respectfully is ok...but...I'll echo what others have said...I don't ever want to hear about politics, religion, race, gender, sexuality or any of the other non pc topics. IMO they just don't belong here. Also, I really don't want to hear the details about deeply personal things (maybe others do) such as those that are best left on the couch of one's psychiatrist/psychologist. Although I am sympathetic to those things, I just don't think they are appropriate for this venue. Just my two cents worth.

Bill

spinland

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:19 am

Fair enough, Bill. No more of such things from me in public posts, I promise. ;)

Mark

TGNesh

Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:46 pm

I can see Bill's point and in general it's better to stay on the safe side online.

That said, I'm not sure which posts you mean exactly, but for what it's worth, i think I did read one (one that i can relate to as well) and both Corina and me thought it was very very brave, honest and open to express it here on the forums. In short, I didn't mind at all.

But i guess it's better to be safe than sorry.....it's not easy to draw a line for that matter.

Ness

spinland wrote:
Fair enough, Bill. No more of such things from me in public posts, I promise. ;)

Mark

spinland

Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:52 pm

Thanks, Ness. For my part I understand that everyone has a different comfort level about a great many different things. If a very small concession on my part can make the forum a more enjoyable place for someone else I am all for that. :side:

Mark

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:12 pm

Yeah, you have a lot to answer for Shel, all these threads! :laugh:
Well, I am so happy you do what you do. You are pretty much a one-woman-animation-team here with all you do so my hat is off to you!

I think the forum has monitored itself wonderfully over the years. Folks know by now that you don't attack or insult people here ever for whatever reason and that politics and religion are just not helpful topics when we're about guitars, music and sharing among friends. I love it when people are supportive and helpful and above all, kind. In fact, just being kind to others is the best guideline we can have. Personally, I like a tough discussion as long as people remember to have a go at the issue but not the person voicing a different view, that's just never necessary. I don't mind strong language (it can be healthy, emotional and real) in real life but it may look out of place on a site like this in the written form. I love to have a laugh as life and work is serious enough and TG is a special place with great people form all over the world. I've enjoyed pirated threads and many of the shenanigans that have occasionally happened here, things have always returned to "normal" pretty quickly. I don't like excessive rules. I don't mind when people feel safe enough here to talk about things that are close to home or personal, it does not offend me and I will offer an ear to listen where I can. TG is about people, not just guitars, so its all a natural part of TG for me. We express much about ourselves and emotions when we play guitar and sing, its natural we express more of ourselves here than in other places.

Most of all, I wish for an active forum where people are able share and give of themselves in this dance we are doing together.

spinland

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:05 am

Thanks, Chris, for so eloquently articulating how I feel about this place. I should just replace my related post with a pointer to here. :S

Mark

wwright

Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:25 pm

Not a frequent viewer of the forums, and have not had any issues with what I've seen. My rule of thumb is if I disagree, or don't care for a post, I just move on; commenting just brings more attention.

I do enjoy learning new songs and techniques. I live in an over 55 community and we have a group that gets together twice a week. Its campfire style, with guitars and ukuleles (occasionally a keyboard). The music tends to be old folk and early rock, mostly in set in C and G. Finding covers of those songs in the forums, helps me try to add a little more to the group than just the basic strum.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic