First Guitar

spinland

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:05 pm

wrsomers wrote:
"I Don't Know How To Love Him"
Ow, wow.

If you do manage to get those digitized I would so much love to hear that. I was a JCS junkie in the late 70s, had every part to every song memorized and wore out two vinyl copies of the Ian Gillan version. Yvonne Elliman was one of my teen unattainable fantasy women.

What special, deep memories those recordings must hold for you.

Mark

willem

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:45 pm

I really tried to make my first guitar by my self,, it was an adventure but more for trying it,, pity it didn't sound well and pity i have no pics.

michelew

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Hey Ness - I was being an idiot of course - fifth fret indeed. :P - in fourths.

TGNesh

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:23 pm

Oh my......we SO have that incommon Mark! In fact, if I would néed to name my most favorite album, it would be JCS. In thruth, the one with Ted Neeley and of course Yvonne Elliman.

As little children, both me and my sister (who is in the picture on page 1 with me) just totally wore it out. Like you, we knew and still know all the lyrics to every song.

Because of that I had asked her to do the TG-play through with me for 'I Don't Know How To Love Him' and also 'Could We Start Again, Please?'. It's a play through/performance which is so dear to my heart and means, for obvious reasons, the most to me. Even my mom joined in. Memories, memories, memories... :)

spinland wrote:
I was a JCS junkie in the late 70s, had every part to every song memorized.
Mark

jcrocket

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:45 pm

Wow Vanessa, that was beautiful....what a talented family!

My first guitar was a Penncrest (as in J.C. Penney) electric I got for Christmas when I was 11. Like others, mine had ridiculously bad action (fortunately upgraded to a Fender Mustang a couple years later).

Jeff

cosmicmechanic

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:49 pm

There I was sitting on top of the world in 1979 with my Yamaha classical guitar, having just recently learnt a few chords.
It fell into my lap when a friend gave up guitar, and currently belongs to my son.

Fun thread ! Nice to see youz :)

spinland

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:40 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
I think you were about to fret D7.
I would have guessed D6 with the middle finger poised to pull off to Bm6. :silly:

Yes, I totally had to look those up. :P

Mark

spinland

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:44 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
Oh my......we SO have that incommon Mark! In fact, if I would néed to name my most favorite album, it would be JCS. In thruth, the one with Ted Neeley and of course Yvonne Elliman.
I liked Neeley a lot in the film version but something about Gillan's voice hits me more deeply.

And...words fail me. I'm going to have to go back to those videos several more times. My two favorite JCS tunes in one package. This is me smiling in bliss. Such a talented family. :side:

Mark

TGNesh

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:29 am

Wow....what a cool picture Pierre!!

cosmicmechanic wrote:
There I was sitting on top of the world in 1979 with my Yamaha classical guitar, having just recently learnt a few chords.
It fell into my lap when a friend gave up guitar, and currently belongs to my son.

Fun thread ! Nice to see youz :)

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Looking forward to it Bill!

wrsomers wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:
Those were the days Shel! Thank you, too kind! I was looking for a dorky kid photo of me with an early guitar but, nothing! Still can't find an earlier photo than that, which really surprised me. Which got me thinking.... I have no recordings at all of me playing anything until I came to TG. I wonder.... anyone got an early recording or video of themselves playing? That would be cool. Bill?
Chris,
Actually I do have a cassette tape somewhere of me and my late lady friend singing songs we did at coffee houses back in 1971. I'll see if I can find it. If I do, I'll have to do what Mark posted instructional links for. We'll see. If I remember, the tape has "Mr. Bojangles", "49 Bye Byes", "Spring Hill Mining Disaster", "I Dig Rock & Roll Music", "I Don't Know How To Love Him", "By No Other Name", and several others from that era.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic