First Guitar

spinland

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:35 am

michelew wrote:
My GOSH you're a photogenic man Chris! Damn! Great photo.
No kidding! What a heart-throb! :woohoo:

Mark

TGNesh

Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:41 am

Actually I do. I have a tape, which i should absolutely digitalize (is that the correct verb? :dry: ), from when I was ten years old, my earliest recording.

I was in this little band, a duo actually. Me on guitar and vocals and a drummer (later his little brother joined with keyboards). In fact, we had written five original songs (somewhat shaped by my dad) and his parents were friends with a keyboard player who was a member of a famous dutch band. This guy indeed had this recording device and spend all afternoon recording our songs. I am forever grateful for him doing that with and for us. We're 'friends' on facebook now, so he knows. ;)

Listening to it now is absolutely hilarious.... :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh:

Come to think of it, I'm lucky enough that I also have several tapes of performances while in highschool (13/14 years old), I think even a video or two. :dry: I should look it all up sometime.

In any way, could anyone tell me how to digitalize a cassette tape?

Ness

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Which got me thinking.... I have no recordings at all of me playing anything until I came to TG. I wonder.... anyone got an early recording or video of themselves playing? That would be cool.

spinland

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:22 am

TGVanessa wrote:

This might help?

Alpha Geek: How to digitize cassette tapes

wrsomers

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:32 am

Great info Mark, Thanks!
Bill

TGNesh

Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:06 am

Great, thanks Mark!

spinland wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:

This might help?

Alpha Geek: How to digitize cassette tapes

TGNesh

Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:11 am

Thanks Shel! :) B)

You've got some really great pics yourself!! I think you were about to fret D7. :P

As for tuning, maybe it took you ages since you needed to fret the fifth fret instead of the fourth (except for the 3rd string of course). :laugh: :laugh:

michelew wrote:
Lynn this is a great idea for a thread. I hope lots of the community post their photos. I'm enjoying seeing everyone's. Ness you and Tamara were so CUTE!

Here's me. I think I was about 14 or so and I had a Riviera, which think must have been a fairly cheap brand. I learned a few chords after going to night school. And I remember playing a few strumming songs for Oma and Ota at Christmas time like She'll be Coming Round the Mountain, and O'Taunnenbaum.

But I DON'T remember EVER having a tuner... believe it or not. I remember having to tune the guitar relative to itself by listening to the note by ear and by feeling the beats between the notes when you play and open string and the fourth fret on the string below it. I remember it took aaaaaaaaages. Gosh! If only I had a clip on tuner at the time. AND If only TG existed. Now THAT would have been EXCELLENT for moulding me into a guitar player from an early age.

In many respects, I feel like I didn't really start learning to play properly until I joined TG.

I never was good st looking natural when asked to pose for a photo. I'm not sure what sort of D chord I'm supposed to be playing here. But I was NOT flipping the bird. :)

I'm smiling in this one. I notice that I've always placed the guitar on my left leg. Interesting. :)

TGNesh

Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:12 am

Wow.....that's really a very cool picture Chris!! B)

neverfoundthetime wrote:
These are great pics! Lynn, Ness, Shel and Mark, cool stuff! I'm struggling to find an early photo of me and guitar.... can't get back beyond about 34..... No idea what my first guitar was, probably my mum's Spanish Classical.

Well, no joy. Youngest I can find is this one with my 27 year old Takamine....

spinland

Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:30 am

wrsomers wrote:
The action was so high ... I still have the bad habit of pressing too hard on the strings with my left hand. Probably because of that guitar. :)
Heh. I hear ya. I wonder what it is with "lower end" acoustics and high action? Easy to mask fret buzz problems and knowing the purchaser is unlikely to know better? I know I had no clue, I just thought my barre sucked because my fingers were wimpy. :side:

Mark

TGNesh

Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:40 am

Hey gang!

Wanted to mention that Lynn, who started this thread, would love to reply to all your great responses and pictures, but for some weird technical reason she's locked out of doing so. Hopefully support will fix it soon. In any way, keep the pics coming, she'll be back! ;)

Ness

wrsomers

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:00 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Those were the days Shel! Thank you, too kind! I was looking for a dorky kid photo of me with an early guitar but, nothing! Still can't find an earlier photo than that, which really surprised me. Which got me thinking.... I have no recordings at all of me playing anything until I came to TG. I wonder.... anyone got an early recording or video of themselves playing? That would be cool. Bill?
Chris,
Actually I do have a cassette tape somewhere of me and my late lady friend singing songs we did at coffee houses back in 1971. I'll see if I can find it. If I do, I'll have to do what Mark posted instructional links for. We'll see. If I remember, the tape has "Mr. Bojangles", "49 Bye Byes", "Spring Hill Mining Disaster", "I Dig Rock & Roll Music", "I Don't Know How To Love Him", "By No Other Name", and several others from that era.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic