First Guitar

auntlynnie

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:57 pm

Test message

auntlynnie

Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:25 pm

(sorry for my absence - technical difficulties, probably my own fault)
Well, this has certainly been a fun thread.
It's great to see those young faces. Geez, Chris, that looks like a professional photo!

Was it Daryl who mentioned erasing a long lost tape of his playing? We are probably all glad that these are stills and not videos, I know my playing was pretty bad back then, and I'm very happy that no one can hear how bad it was. Now Vanessa probably always sounded (at least) good, and likely very good, even from an early age. I hope she unearths some more videos.

Shel looks just like herself, only younger. Oh, I have to look around for a random young photo...

I particularly like the photo of cosmicmechanic up on the roof - that is so seventies, isn't it? I also had a Yamaha classical, purchased around 1971, I remember that the saleperson explained to me how to pronounce Yamaha (I had never heard the name before). I think that was my second guitar after the high-action Sears model.
Thanks all for posting the photos and memories here.
Lynn

michelew

Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:18 pm

Hey Lynn. It's good that you managed to get back on.

I deleted my random photo and suggestion that others post one too. I suddenly realized that I was pirating your thread so I deleted it. But I think I'll start a new thread along the lines of sources of ideas/stories that inspire songwriting. Though it will also be a call
For people to post a random photo and to tell us something about their lives. :) so look out for that and post your photo(s) there. I do love your photos.

Talk to you later.

Shel

Edit: the thread is here

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/81- ... there.html

wrsomers

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:36 pm

Ok, as promised, here is an old recording (1971) of me and my partner Mary singing "49 Bye Byes". The quality is not the best, but what the hey. I'll be posting some others songs from that session way back when.

Bill

daryl

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:44 pm

Well Bill, the sound quality may not be very good but the quality of the singing and guitar playing was outstanding. You guys were good! How old were you then?

TGNesh

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:52 pm

Wow :ohmy: ......Bill (and Mary), that was AWESOME, you sounded fantastic!!!!

As you know, I love that song, now I can't wait to play it together!!!

Ness

spinland

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:10 pm

That is so over-the-top cool. Wow, I really felt the vibe from that time.

I was just past the tail end of the generation that made such a difference, and songs like your performance here do so much to take me to that time and feel what was going on then.

Thank you so much for sharing this, Bill.

wrsomers

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:00 am

Thanks Daryl, Ness and Mark!
Daryl - I was 24 when that tape was made, it seems like yesterday :)
Ness - I guess I'll have to re-learn the song for IGC. I don't think I've played it since then. :ohmy:
Mark - Yes, much of the music of that period was reflective of current events. A great time for singer/songwriters.

Here's another clip from that old tape. Pardon my poor guitar work. I'm posting it as a tribute to Mary; I only wish the quality of the recording were better because it doesn't really do justice to her great voice. At the time the tape was made, Mary was performing the part of Mary Magdalene in an off Broadway production of JCSS.

Bill

spinland

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:26 am

Such a beautiful voice. Wow, that was wonderful to listen to.

Loved the guitar, too...was that a 12 string?

Mark

daryl

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:44 am

Nice Bill (and Mary). Yes, too bad the quality of the recording is what it is. :-(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic