Family (Music) Albums

spinland

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:38 pm

I've loved following Lynn's latest thread about our first guitars, and it got me thinking about stuff. I didn't want to hijack her thread with musings only tangentially related, so I'm gonna take my mind spew here. :silly:

My youthful singing adventures notwithstanding, I came into the idea of making music rather late in life and I was struck by so many folks sharing images from such a young age. Very cool.

One thing that did happen for me, though, was marrying into a rather musical family whose members have been unfailingly encouraging and inspiring to me. I wanted to laud them and the impact they've made on my life.

I shared that image of "The Band" from my wedding reception; well, here are Jim and Mike in their heyday when they played the Utica music circuit as the duo Sterling Thomas:

And this is Jim playing lead to my rhythm as I serenaded my new bride with "Your Song" by (duh) Elton John:

Jim has been especially encouraging and helpful to his knuckle-headed brother-in-law and I owe him no small debt in helping me realize "I can do it."

TGNesh

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Very nice Mark, you're a very lucky man! Not everyone has people around them to play with. So marrying into a musical family must be really nice.

I was indeed fortunate to grow up in one. My dad was a singer/guitarist who taught me and my sister to play the guitar as well. He was also the one who let me play any instrument I fancied (bass, piano, drums). My mom comes out of a musical family as well, although she herself, besides piano lessons as a kid, stuck with vocals, as did my sister. (But all her brothers play more than one instrument.)

All in all, my dad is by far my biggest musical inspiration. And my mom (along with The Beatles and The Everly Brothers ;) ) taught me how to sing harmonies. I am who I am today because of them. I am forever grateful for that.

Edit: Can someone please tell me again how you post a $#%$% picture??? :angry:

wrsomers

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:31 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
I've found the reason we can't post a picture by selecting an image file and then hitting [img] is because the file is too big. Try making the picture a smaller file and it should post fine. If you chose a resolution size of around 600 x 800 pixels, it should post with no problem.

Bill

TGNesh

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:39 pm

Thanks Bill......i really don't know how and where to choose a resolution size... :S :(

wrsomers wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:
I've found the reason we can't post a picture by selecting an image file and then hitting [img] is because the file is too big. Try making the picture a smaller file and it should post fine. If you chose a resolution size of around 600 x 800 pixels, it should post with no problem.

Bill

wrsomers

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:06 pm

TGVanessa wrote:
Thanks Bill......i really don't know how and where to choose a resolution size... :S :(

wrsomers wrote:
TGVanessa wrote:

Bill
Hi Ness,
If you are using Windows you can download this software which will do if for you. Very simple.

Bill

http://www.nchsoftware.com/photoeditor/ ... swodICoOLw

auntlynnie

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:23 am

Mark,
Those are beautiful memories - thanks for sharing them!
Lynn

spinland

Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:07 am

auntlynnie wrote:
Mark,
Those are beautiful memories - thanks for sharing them!
Lynn
Thanks for inspiring me to post! This is a good time in my life to be introspective in a positive way and this is also a great place for some of that. :side:

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic