Family Portrait

wrsomers

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:54 pm

Just and update on my PRS CE 24 Limited Edition electric guitar. I continued to have problems with static noise when touching the neck. I took it back to the dealer, Brian's Guitars, in Hamden, CT. They are PRS's 5th largest dealer. Brian's sent it back to PRS for inspection and possible repair. It's been one week yesterday and nothing has been done except for an acknowledgement from PRS's Customer Service Manager that they have the guitar.

When I brought the guitar to the dealer last month, I was advised by Brian and through him, by PRS that the dry winter weather might be the problem and that I should wait until better humidity conditions. That statement to me was ludicrous for two reasons. One, I keep the guitar in a humidity controlled room (45-55%), and two...I've got a guitar that doesn't play well in the winter???

Today I got an email from PRS's Customer Service Manager stating they have the guitar and Paul Reed Smith himself will be checking it out.
The content of the email flabbergasted me:

"Hi Bill,

I apologize for the shipping snafu which delayed the guitar arriving to us. We have it now and I have asked Paul Smith to personally look at it today. We had a similar situation about a month ago. The guitar seemed to have some static when touched or held by certain people, but other people, under the same circumstances, could not get any static from the guitar. I suspect this has to do with the make-up of each individual person. It is similar to how the sweat of some folks tarnishes and corrodes the hardware very quickly, but for other people, there is almost no sign of corrosion after years of play.

Once Paul has evaluated the guitar, I’ll let you know his findings.

Thank you,

Shawn Nuthall
PRS Guitars
308 Log Canoe Circle
Stevensville, MD 21666
Mgr. Customer Service Department"

So it could be my fault because I'm some sort of electrical freak? Unbelievable! I guess PRS should tell its potential buyers that they could be bad for the guitar they are about to buy. I'll be patient a little longer but I'm not getting "Good Vibrations"

Bill

spinland

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:26 am

Wow. That is just frikken weird.

Very interested to see how this eventually plays out (pun intended).

Mark

spinland

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:28 am

New member of the family settling in nicely.

wrsomers

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:31 am

spinland wrote:
New member of the family settling in nicely.

The new acoustic is a beauty. How does she sound? Is she what you expected?

Bill

PS. The Paul Reed Smith story is weird for sure. I'll report back when I hear from them.

spinland

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:01 am

She's everything I hoped for, and more. Feels and sounds amazing. I just now finished what I think is the "keeper" take of my current busking project playing her. Need another take on the vox and then some mixing and I should have a video posted later today.

Mark

wrsomers

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Well hopefully the PRS guitar saga is over. I went back to the dealer today and he said he received a call from PRS and was told Paul Smith played my guitar and didn't hear any static. Strange because I heard it, Brian the owner of Brian's Guitars, and Brian's technician also heard it. Must be something in the air here in Connecticut.

Brian stepped up to the plate and offered me a full refund and a deal on another PRS guitar (and upgrade) which I played at the shop. No static. I paid a few dollars more and got the CE 24 Amber. It is beautiful and plays well. I think it's a keeper unless I get struck by lightning :laugh: .

Here's a picture.

It has a mahogany back, flame maple top, east indian rosewood fingerboard, maple bolt on neck and 85/15 single coil/humbucker pickups.

Now I'm going to have to learn how to play it. :)

Bill

familyman4

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:10 pm

Mark,
Very beautiful guitar there. I hope you have many late nights and memories with Rose...

Bill,
Looks very nice! I love how the PRS has that tapper on their cutaway.

She's a beauty!

Bart

spinland

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:39 am

Thanks, guys! I'm as excited to pick up Rose and play as I've been with Angel, which was part of my evil plan to convince myself to stop trying to make Angel into something she's not. The best route to getting people to change their behavior is through incentives. ;)

Bill, that PRS is simply gorgeous. I don't believe they make an ugly guitar but sometimes they outdo themselves and that one is on the list of stunners. Congrats and I hope she sounds and feels as good as she looks. Will you share some electric guitar busking at some point?

This is a prototype of the new truss rod cover I ordered once I decided on the name. Mine will be on (of course) rosewood instead of ebony. It's from the artist who did the dragon for Angel.

Mark

wrsomers

Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:45 am

spinland wrote:
Bill, that PRS is simply gorgeous. I don't believe they make an ugly guitar but sometimes they outdo themselves and that one is on the list of stunners. Congrats and I hope she sounds and feels as good as she looks. Will you share some electric guitar busking at some point?

Mark
Thanks Mark,
You're right about PRS. When I was at the dealer I looked at several other choices but kept coming back to the PRS. Yes, I believe there will be an electric busk sooner or later. Bob R and I have a collab in the works and she just might make an appearance.

Bill

spinland

Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:12 am

Excellent! I'm excited to see (hear) what you guys come up with.

I've been messing around with power chords in 12 bar blues progressions as part of working up stuff Angel is best suited for (apart from death metal soloing, which ain't my bag, bay-bee). Couple of other obscure songs on my interest list just might work well blues-ified; we'll have to see.

So much fun to be had! :side:

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic