Fun little pick-me-up

spinland

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:02 pm

You're talking to the newest adjunct professor in the Comp Sci department of the SUNY Polytechnic Institute in Utica. I start teaching a 400 level class this Fall.

It's a part time gig, as I have a metric crap ton of other stuff going on, but it's going to be fun and if all goes well I might be able to ramp up my course load starting in 2019. This first course will be focusing on the mathematics and other science that goes on behind 3D special effects and digital animation. After that I'm in talks with the department head to design a couple of courses focusing on stuff I feel kids need to know before they get into this business. As it is they're giving me carte blanche to jigger the existing curriculum to my liking because coming up with all-new stuff takes time.

So, when we meet up at IGC this year the first round is definitely on me. :side:

Mark

daryl

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:16 pm

Congrats Mark. But, I thought you didn't have any spare time as it was. How can you possibly fit more on your plate????? But it does sound like you will enjoy the job.

crieniecat

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:22 pm

Good for you! Let's hope it brings you what you want and need to be happy! :woohoo:

Cheers
Corina

spinland

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:35 pm

daryl wrote:
Congrats Mark. But, I thought you didn't have any spare time as it was. How can you possibly fit more on your plate????? But it does sound like you will enjoy the job.
Of the two major gigs I have going, one wraps up the end of March and the other the end of May. Once those are done my workload will dwindle to nearly nothing, unless I take on more contracts. This move is part of my plan to migrate my involvement to more steady stuff and less of the rollercoaster ride I'm on now.

spinland

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:44 pm

crieniecat wrote:
Good for you! Let's hope it brings you what you want and need to be happy! :woohoo:

Cheers
Corina
Thankee! :silly:

Life's been an interesting journey, filled with experiments and mis-steps and fun. Looking forward to more of that! B)

TGNesh

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:54 pm

Congratz Mark, very happy for you! I'll hold you to that round. ;)

neverfoundthetime

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:34 pm

Congratulations Mark.... count me in on and free drinks your doling out :laugh:

spinland

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:28 am

You bet! Hope you're up for a good single malt! ;)

spinland

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:14 pm

Just wrapped the first class. Dismissed 'em early so I could make the last night of my summer golf league. Hey, my class, my rules. I doubt any of the kids minded. ;)

One of them came to me after to express his liking for where I said the course was going. Cool! Almost all of them are comp sci majors who want to learn graphics rather than animation/CGI students wanting a deeper dive. Good to know, I can tailor my material accordingly. My prior life was as a software engineer so I understand where they're coming from—plus it'll be easier to wow 'em with my toyz. :side:

Mark

dean1342

Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:05 pm

Wow roomy that sounds exciting! Congrats

Dean

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic