Mic and mixer advice?

AcousticAl

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:22 am

Hey there,

My G.A.S. continues... I'm looking at mics and mixers and I'm thinking of getting this from kijiji. For those that don't know- kijiji is kind of like a local ebay-- I think it's actually owned by the same people.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z220921104

My logic here is twofold.
1) I'd like a better/cleaner way of recording vocals. My first vocal upload (Hey Hey My My) was just done with my webcam mic. My 2nd was done with the internal mic of the Flipcam.
2) I'm thinking having a mobile mixer that I can hook into a laptop might be handy to have. I could record anywhere.

Any advice you have on either the makes in the ad or my setup in general would be appreciated.

Al

Yamaha48

Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:49 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Hey there,

My G.A.S. continues... I'm looking at mics and mixers and I'm thinking of getting this from kijiji. For those that don't know- kijiji is kind of like a local ebay-- I think it's actually owned by the same people.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z220921104

My logic here is twofold.
1) I'd like a better/cleaner way of recording vocals. My first vocal upload (Hey Hey My My) was just done with my webcam mic. My 2nd was done with the internal mic of the Flipcam.
2) I'm thinking having a mobile mixer that I can hook into a laptop might be handy to have. I could record anywhere.

Any advice you have on either the makes in the ad or my setup in general would be appreciated.

Al
Hello Al.

There are USB mixers,not a lot of monney.
Then you can recording by your pc.
There manny programs,Steinberg is verry good.
Microfoons,i have a set of two in one box,the brand name Samson with black wind caps.
I have a bridge to put this two microfoons on.
The bridge is connect to the microfoonstand.

greetz Anton

Chasplaya

Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:07 pm

HI Al, Buddy has a good set up in my opinion, I asked him what it was as I was interested myself he provided this link, just as well as its not apparently available in NZ at present:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=241736

AcousticAl

Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:09 pm

Thanks Chas & Anton.

Chas- that's a strange link he sent you. That shows NONE of the gear he's selling.

I'm thinking I'll buy it though. I looked up the Behringer mic online and it gets pretty good reviews.

Chasplaya

Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:01 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Thanks Chas & Anton.

Chas- that's a strange link he sent you. That shows NONE of the gear he's selling.

I'm thinking I'll buy it though. I looked up the Behringer mic online and it gets pretty good reviews.
BIt bewildered I tried the link and it takes me directly to Musicians Friend and the TASCAM US144 Interface and 990/991 Mic Pack Bundle. I wasn't pointing you to anything Buddy was selling just what he uses and recommends and what I am considering.

AcousticAl

Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:00 pm

Misunderstanding Chas.

When you said 'Buddy' I thought you were referring to the actual guy in the ad. I occasionally use the term 'Buddy' when talking about people I don't even know. Like- "I asked Buddy for directions and he told me blah blah."

I did see both the link and the gear. That looks like a sweet setup too.

willem

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:10 am

Hey Al, i wait to your next upload with your new setup,,maybe you can record the same songs were you were singin and playing..or was it playing and singin...

AcousticAl

Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:52 pm

As often happens with internet postings that sell gear, it fell through.
Chas & Buddy- I was tempted to buy the Tascam, but I do have some gear already that I didn't want to make redundant.

So I went and bought a Sennheiser e835 mic. It gets great reviews for its price range ($100-ish). I'm thinking it could be either a vocal mic or acoustic guitar mic- depending on what's called for.

On another note- I see this as a slippery slope for me. I've always championed the quick & easy way of recording videos- and I am still a fan of that. As long as we can see and hear a student demo properly, that's good enough to get and give feedback. But the techie side of me likes testing new things and pushing boundaries (see my Micro BR post). And who's kidding who? I LOVES MY GADGETS!!

Anyways, I'll see about doing a demo with the new mic soon. Unfortunately, I'm actually working most of next week. But that's ok... gotta pay for the toys! :whistle:

Cheers!

willem

Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:27 pm

HEY HEY MY MY,hungry voice AL??

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:32 pm

willem wrote:
HEY HEY MY MY,hungry voice AL??

Ha! I don't know about that, Willem. I was thinking of doing a test recording though. I'm wanting to compare the audio quality of my elec/acoustic guitar recorded two ways. One way being direct to my computer via 1/4" to stereo-mini cable. The other way using my new mic pointed at the sound hole. I've always gotten good/clean sound using the first way- but i also lose the warm acoustic sound that way.

Anyways- I'll post something if/when I get around to it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic