Theory Courses

Sarasota1

Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:42 pm

Hello Neil... First time posting here. Hope you receive this.

I took an online "guitar theory" course, submitting to the fact that nearly everyone, or everything I read about guitar playing, stated, sooner or later, "you'll want to learn theory, no matter your playing style". "It will make you a better guitar player". btw, I am an acoustic, finger-picking guitarist, which is why I initially joined TG.

I learned how to read music, learned the chromatic scale, major and minor forms of the CAGED positions, major and minor forms of arpeggios, intervals, as well as augmented and diminished arpeggios, and struggled through the circle of fifths, while not quite understanding the entire concept.

It turns out I learned a lot of theory. What I didn't get from that course, however, was how to put all that theory to work so that I could understand and play the entire fretboard. I watch You-Tube players shred the fretboard and have no idea what they are doing.

So, I was wondering what theory course(s) you might recommend which would enable me to put all those pieces together so that I would have an understanding of the fretboard and how to put all that learned theory to work.

Thanks,

Peter

TGNeil

Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:10 am

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the message and the question. I will address some of this on tomorrow's Weekly Update.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic