AMERICA, Never Found The Time

Do you have a band or artist you want everybody to hear or see? This is the place to share some of your favorite listens.
neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:18 am

I know. Finally. Can't believe its taken me so long to actually learn this one seeing as its my site name here at TG and on YT. Its coming up to its 5oth birthday, so it is about time as I have always loved this song and the sound of AMERICA inspired me to take up guitar. Rick Beato on YT has made an interesting video about his connection to this song if you want to check it out. Of course, its all so much better when I have Corina to sing along and sprinkle her fairy dust on it all :-).

Thanks for tuning in!
Chris

GeeWhy

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:16 pm

Chris,

I never heard this song before despite considering myself an America fan. I guess that's not really true. I had History (hits), Hideaway, and Harbor on vinyl back in the day. Probably have 10 downloads from albums unknown to me. I later purchased their Christmas CD. Have seen a number of concert videos, as well.

Anyway, I gave this a listen, brought up the original on Prime Music, and then listened to your version again. I like it. Enjoyed the vocal and harmonies. Love that reverb. I could tell it was a Dan Peek song. I do have this song in my library in an America retrospective. I guess I should really listen to it.

So, when are you changing your handle to finallyfoundthetime. Thumbs up. Keep them coming.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:52 am

Thanks for listening GeeWhy. This was on their debut album simply called AMERICA, the one with them sitting in front of a huge wall photo of American Indians. Love the whole album and listened to it A LOT as a student. I have my Takamine plugged in with some reverb and chorus through a Roland amp and I added a reverb to the video before posting. Its a fun song to do!

Chris

GeeWhy

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:59 am

Yesterday I watched the Rick Beato video you mentioned. I am familiar with his channel and have watched some of his videos. Every time I see his name I read it as Beat-o. :lol: Interesting mention of Croce in regards to 12 string guitar. It's not something I generally associate with him. Anyway, the video gave me a greater appreciation for this song and I learned some new things.

My first memory of America is Horse With No Name playing on the radio in my dad's Rambler. I can hear it and Doctor My Eyes bouncing around my memories. Googled them and sure enough they were released within months of each other in late 71/early 72. I didn't get away from top 40 mode until maybe '76 or '77 when I bought my first albums. I was in high school at the time. So, maybe a bit late on that. Didn't start playing guitar until a few years later. Throughout high school, my closest friends were in a band. I would go watch them practice every weekend. It wasn't until the guitar player died in a car crash that I decided to learn guitar. I remember my first guitar. Like Rick, I commandeered it from my brother. My parents bought it for him, but he never really tried to learn it.

I lucked out. It was a real cheapo my parents bought at Lowes (IIRC). Seems an odd place to buy a guitar (or to sell guitars). It was an Ensenada. I'm not even sure it was made of wood. The lucky part is it had low action, sounded great, and played like a dream. I'm really struggling to remember my first song. It could well have been Horse With No Name. Mostly, I remember using chord books (as opposed to song books) to learn the chords.

I'd be interested in others first guitar and first song(s) stories. Chris, thanks for introducing me to this song, Rick's video, and giving me my own trip down memory lane.
Last edited by GeeWhy on Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig

Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:15 pm

Wonderful job as always from you two! Solid playing and vocals Chris, and the fairy dust is incredible as usual!
I wasn't familiar with the song but I'll definitely check it out now!

Craig

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:32 pm

Thanks for listening in Craig} Very surprised to hear you did not know that song. That first AMERICA album was massive in England when it came out. maybe the album released in the States was different.

GeeWhy (you'll have to remind me of your real name ), Rick Beato is excellent and has many videos explaining what's great about a song,
Horse with no name replaced Heart of Gold as the nr.1 on the charts at the time and everyone thought it was Neil Young because of the similarity in sound. And Horse with No Name would be a great first song for any beginner to start with, I think my first (bought) guitar was a Yamaha but I used to play my mum's Spanish classical guitar. and I still sit more in a classical position to play... just don't feel comfortable with the guitar rested on my right leg. cant remember my first song but maybe it was House of The Rising Sun.
Last edited by neverfoundthetime on Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

48Yamaha

Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:32 am

Hi Chris and Corina.

This sounds great on the 12 string guitar.
I am so happy, that i'm back here by the TG familie.
The site is Total different with the old one..
But day by day i find New things haha.

Greetz Anton

neverfoundthetime

Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:21 am

Welcome back Anton!

Lisa.C

Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:03 pm

Chris and Corina,
Such beautiful harmony! I love this!

Lisa

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:04 pm

Hi Lisa, many thanks for listening in!

Hope life is good and you are playing and singing strong.

Greetings from both of us!
Chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic