Playing tuned to A=432 Hz

Do you have a band or artist you want everybody to hear or see? This is the place to share some of your favorite listens.
neverfoundthetime

Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:05 pm

Hi Guys

This has been a topic here over the years and I love playing tuned to A=432 Hz especially on my Rosewood BSG D25F, the tones are so rich and this slightly lower register makes singing many songs a lot easier on the vocal chords! I know that modern guitars are all made for A=440 Hz but I find the 432Hz works perfectly well on all my guitars. Of course, when you are playing along with original tuning, you are stuffed so I just keep the one guitar tuned in 432, Is anyone else experimenting with 432 Hz or even playing regularly in that register? what is your experience and feeling about it? It is said that 432Hz is better for our soul and psyche and it certainly produces more perfect patterns when making cymatic patterns on drum skins with salt or sand whereas 440Hz produces slightly fractured patterns.

Thoughts? Comments?

Here's a Justin Haywood song in 432 Hz and DADFAC tuning.

Chris
Last edited by neverfoundthetime on Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeeWhy

Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:53 pm

I assume the one 423 was a typo. I had not heard of this. Found this via Google. Not familiar with the song you covered, but I enjoyed your performance. Warning - the YouTube video does get a bit political and dismissive. I included it because it was in the post. As the post concludes, use it if it works for you. I keep swearing I will tune down a full step. I've only done that on my twelve string. Also, I use open D instead of open E as to not have to tune up the A, D, and G strings. Tension gives me tension.
Nope, 432 Hz is not the “frequency of universe” | Andrea Fortuna
February 6, 2017
Let’s try to separate fact from fiction
If you happen to meet some musician who claims that 432 Hz is “the natural frequency of the Universe”, which this frequency has the power of “attract the masses to the music” and cure diseases, first of all, take a look to this article by Assaf Dar Sagol, on Ask.audio:

432 Hz seems to be just another number without any special significance over others. Tuning your music to a specific frequency will not unlock cosmic powers, or make your music sound better or worse.

I have already written a post on this subject, and this article could be his ‘reasoned’ conclusion.

I’ll summarize it in broad terms:

The ancient instruments
It is not true that the old instruments uses 432 Hz as base pitch: the term “Hertz “ concept appears only in 1930, and most likely the instruments were arranged with even lower frequencies (before standardization, the pitch of “A” fluctuated heavily between 400 Hz and 460 Hz).

As for evidence, I could not find a single solid evidence for ancient flutes or bowls tuned to 432 Hz. If you find some — please let me know!

Pythagoras’ tuning system
The Pythagora’s “A” was not 432 Hz: Pythagoras has not theorized an absolute tuning, but relative, starting from a selected tone.

Pythagoras’s tuning system was based on cycling perfect fifths. However, cycling fifths will never get you to complete a circle — unless one of the fifths is diminished. In other words, the Pythagorean scale has to be ‘tuned-down’ a little each octave in order to maintain its consistency.

Mozart’s “A”
Mozart did not use 432 Hz for all his music.
The only Mozart’s “A” supplied it was in 1780 and was of 421.6 Hz

Verdi’s “A”
Also Giuseppe Verdi did not use 432 Hz as base pitch for his music: he has expressed a slight preference for 432 Hz, because he was concerned about singers.

Verdi is the only known composer to even hint towards 432 Hz, and it was obviously for completely different reasons than cosmic spirituality.

The frequency of the heart

Furthermore, the 432 Hz are not the frequency of the heart/brain/earth/sun/water: for example the heart frequency ranges approximately from 1 to 2.5 Hz.

Your music would sound better

And finally, your music will not sound better at A=432Hz

Tuning to different pitches has subtle effects on the timbre of acoustic instruments, but makes no difference to electronically generated sounds.

But, actually what changes?
Assaf says:

I do believe that musicians should be able to tune to any base frequency they like, which is why we have decided our next update will include a master tuning setting. After all, i see no reason not to tune to 432 Hz.

Have fun, create and experiment, and don’t let standards hold you back!

In my personal experience on the guitar, the only benefit that i found is a less tension of the strings, which allows a better expressiveness and a more pronounced vibrato.

But this can be accomplished simply using strings with a lower tension!

And no, even at 432Hz my girlfriend still does not loving my music!

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:46 pm

Thanks for that GeeWhy.
I have heard a lot about different tuning references and for sure, actuall evidence is very thin on the ground. So I guess we are left with subjectivity and the feel and sound of any tuning. I do like the feel of 432Hz on that BSG.

I have often tuned down my 12 string a half step and it does give a more jangling sound and is better for the voice on many songs.... as we age it becomes more difficult to reach the high notes! I have even tuned down my 6 string by 3 half steps (usually when restringing) to play Cold Play's God put a smile on your face as that's how they play it and it sounds pretty cool..... but its just the one song.

Thanks for listening 👍

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:58 pm

Here is the video contrasting the cymatic patterns made by 432 and 440Hz....

unclewalt

Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:27 pm

I'm just sort of aghast that we've arrived at the point where simply noting that observable reality is real, and that believing in toxic, obvious nonsense is bad, is now thought of as "being political."

GeeWhy

Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:40 am

unclewalt wrote:
I'm just sort of aghast that we've arrived at the point where simply noting that observable reality is real, and that believing in toxic, obvious nonsense is bad, is now thought of as "being political."
Did you watch the video? When Alex Jones is referenced, that's political - especially given this is a guitar forum. I put the disclaimer because I found the conspiracy theory line and Alex Jones reference a bit jarring in this context. Also, I did not wish Chris to think I was ascribing those to him. I'm all for facts and countering misinformation/disinformation. Sorry for aghasting you.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:22 pm

I understood you perfectly GeeWhy, no problem. Having looked around a bit, I notice there is much more out there than a few years back but still not too much to back up all the good things ascribed to 432Hz. But it remains a feel good frequency for me.

GeeWhy

Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:18 pm

I'm glad for that. I learned something I never knew about and got to enjoy your performance. Tune on.

unclewalt

Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:16 am

GeeWhy wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:40 am
unclewalt wrote:
Did you watch the video? When Alex Jones is referenced, that's political - especially given this is a guitar forum. I put the disclaimer because I found the conspiracy theory line and Alex Jones reference a bit jarring in this context. Also, I did not wish Chris to think I was ascribing those to him. I'm all for facts and countering misinformation/disinformation. Sorry for aghasting you.
I did watch the video. My comment wasn't really aimed at you personally, but was more of a general observation: I guess what I meant was that the topic of a shameless, vile huckster peddling bizarre, hateful conspiracy theories and quack cures to credulous dopes wasn't considered "political" until recently. That we now consider it "political" is a deep shame. "Political" used to mean, like, trade policy, tax rates, and the minimum wage. Now it means debating whether Sandy Hook actually happened, and whether there is a global coven of politicians and celebrities who buy and sell children through Wayfair.com to be raped and eaten. The more of us who validate this stuff by declaring it to be "political," the more it will be seen as valid, and the faster we will sink into the abyss.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic