Roy Clark, THE MASTER

tacticaltal

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:07 pm

In my humble opinion, anyway. I don't understand why he's so underrated.

thereshopeyet

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:42 pm

Terry

That's an entertaining video, he's a funny.

Thanks for posting it.

Dermot

haoli25

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Did Roy just get a lapdance..or two....or three? :) :)

songman52

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:18 pm

UNDERRATED??? The music community has known for years that Roy is an outstanding musician. Go to YouTube and watch some of his videos. I've always loved to watch him play Malaguena. While you're at it, look at the early videos of Jose Feliciano. WOW!!
While on the subject, Jerry Reed and Glen Campbell have also been great musicians for a long time. Sometimes artists don't get well known because they've done more studio work, or the few songs that have made the charts have been more "novelty" type, like Jerry Reed's "When You're Hot, You're Hot". Aside from that, these are all really good guitarists.

Just my two cents.

Craig

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:17 am

When I was a teenager, my parents took me to a Roy Clark show. He was INCREDIBLE! At the end of the show, the band went off the stage and Roy came out by himself with an acoustic guitar and played Malaguena, it was a "Wow Moment" for me that I will never forget! I think the fact that he sticks his tounge out and makes goofy faces while he plays, coupled with his connection to the TV show, Hee-Haw, made people not take his as seriously as he deserved....
Just my opinion,

Craig

tacticaltal

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:47 am

Wow, it's great to see some fans of his. I have worshiped this man's ability since I was young boy, and do still today.

Yeah, I guess Hee-Haw wasn't that great for him, but I watched it faithfully every week, and waited for him to come out with his electric, cause I knew it was gonna be an instrumental, which I love.

His faces, that he made, I always took in fun as he seemingly mocked other players, like Buck Trent (who is a dear friend of Roy's). But it seemed that Roy just liked to have friendly contests with other players, and especially with Dueling Banjos, Roy always tried to show that HE was the best, but it was really all in fun.

Here's one version of Maleguena, which he plays on 12-strings. He has also played this on 6, in his appearance on the Odd Couple TV show.

Somewhere My Love is a beautiful instrumental that can be found on YT, also.

Here's Maleguena.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic