Pick-y, pick-y, pick-y; the continuing saga of a woman in search of a new favourite pick

willem

Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:55 pm

I was playing with my fingers lately,,now one song to go and then i use my pick again.. :laugh: :cheer:

Hydroman52

Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:59 am

Tony – Sure glad you found something useful in all that.

Dermot – Bored? Sorry. Skip all words that follow. . . picture at end just for you.

Michele – Looks like we are of a kindred spirit. Thanks for starting this thread. It has urged me on in the quest to find my pick. You might find the following interesting.

Pierre – That is brilliant. Wish I had thought of it. Good one!

Willem – I envy you fingerpickers. Whenever I try that, I eventually rip a fingernail. Bleed all over the place. Anticeptic, bandage, then back to the pick . . . . . er . . . . . . plectrum.

Okay . . . . . .

So, in my last post in this thread, I mentioned that the Bureau of Demented Inventing (BoDI) may need to intervene in the development of a pick that is more suitable for me. Well . . . . . . . . . . . the BoDI swung into action and, within an hour, I had a prototype to try. Here’s what happened . . . .

Yesterday, I finished composing my previous post for this thread. Then I was looking at all the picks that I had tested and was thinking about how I wished that my favorite one (Dunlop Gator-Grip, 2.0mm) had the better grippablility (that’s not a real word) of the Brain Pick or the Max-Grip. So, out came the tools and, voila, a custom pick.

Basically, I took a couple of the Snarling Dog Brain Picks, cut them up, super-glued them to a Gator-Grip pick and shaped it to fit me. I call it . . . . Frankenpick (IT’S ALIVE!). After it was done, I used it at Wednesday night’s practice session with bassman Jerry. So how did it perform? Great! We have a new song that we’ve been working on that will be posted shortly in the busking area, and I used it during that one. I think I tried it out at home for about 5 minutes before going over to Jerry’s so it didn’t take long to adapt to it, without too many mistakes. However, there were improvements. This morning, it was back to the workbench to create Frankenpick II.

Here are some photos of the creation of Frankenpick I:

Installing the brain
Close-up of the brain
Not too many scars
Back side's a little different
Good enough to pass off in normal society

Here is the comparison of Frankenpick I and Frankenpick II:

Front Side
Back Side

If you decide you might do something like this, here are some things that I figured out.

1. Before gluing the Brain Pick to the Gator-Grip, I needed to smooth out the rough surface on the side of the Brain Pick that I was gluing to the other pick. While the texture makes a superb surface to hold on to, it makes a lousy gluing surface. I used 120 grit sandpaper laid out on a flat surface and then rubbed the pick’s gluing side on that until all the little nubs were worn off. I also scuffed up the Gator-Grip a little just to be on the safe side as that has a coating on it.
Sanding the brain
2. Use a scissors to do any major shaping work on the Brain Pick. It’s quicker to cut away than to grind away.
3. A rasp bit in a drill works great for rough shaping these things. All other tools take forever!
The tool for delicate surgical work
4. Clamp the pick in a vice while you do any rough shaping with the rasp bit. Then take it out of the vice and finish up with the 120 grit sandpaper.
Make sure the patient is securely secured
5. Don’t work around household pets when using super-glue. You will inevitably become stuck to them somehow . . . . not good.
Pets do not make good assistants

I think this may be it for a while, except I have one more idea for an improvement. If I try it once more, look for the sequel. I will call it . . . . . . . . . . wait for it . . . . . . . . . . BRIDE OF FRANKENPICK (Oooooooooooo, scary. Bet you won’t get to sleep tonight thinking about that one!)

Hydroman52

Thanks to those of you that stuck up for my excessive compulsive behavior.

Dermot, Hope the pic I promised shows up . . . . . . Image

michelew

Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:01 am

Hydroman,

Kindred spirits indeed! That's BRILLIANT!!!! Hilarious .... in a very useful way of course. I love it!

My shape trimming and duct tape jackets have nothing on the life you breathe into your freaky creations.

Now what's with the heart shape? Greater control? Man hands?

... SO ... When will you start selling to Sydney?

Nice to see I'm not the only pick (plectrum)-obsessed person at TG. :) I love your work Hydroman.

BTW - is that your superhero name? You must REALLY like water. I'm guessing you wear a blue cape. Undies over the tights??? Or do you have a more contemporary form-fitting, showing off your muscles, leather disguise/uniform? What's your motto? 'Solving the pick crimes that meer mortals fear to tackle'?

:)

Great post!

Thanks

Michele

thereshopeyet

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:37 am

Thanks

michelew

Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:57 am

Dermot, I can't speak for Hydroman, but I wasn't offended. Besides, one day we might find you back here saying something about how you prefer this pick or that... And then I'll have an 'AH HA!' opportunity. I'm patient. :) B)

M.

tovo

Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:03 am

I'm offended by my reflection. Other than that all good really. Pick away dudes!

thereshopeyet

Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:36 am

Thanks

cabro

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:53 pm

I tried to keep my 2 cents worth to myself but can no longer hold back. I have been playing for around 40 years and my favorite pick of all is the Jim Dunlop Tortex, orange, .60 mm. I can't play with a pick that won't bend. (Depending on who you talk to, I can't play with one that bends either.) I buy them by the dozen and leave them lying around everywhere there might be a chance of my picking up a guitar and usually have one or more in my pocket. They're great conversation starters too. I don't know how many times I've reached into my pocket for something and had a little orange pick come out along with whatever it was I was fishing for. Invariably that's where it starts "So, you play guitar?"

Hydroman52

Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:17 pm

Michele – Never look down your nose at duct tape, it may save your life some day. The heart shape? Never looked at it like that. I always saw it as a pick with a bite out of it. I see the heart, now. Does that mean you’re a glass half-full person and I’m a glass half-empty? Greater control? Yes, a little bit more of that. Man hands? Yes, it’s mostly heart shaped because of that . . . . . . when I get a bit aggressive with the playing, the normal pick will rub my finger just below the second knuckle and cause a painful irritation and sometimes a blister. The solution was to get rid of the problem part of the pick. I guess, by chance, it just looks like a heart in a lopsided sort of way. I won’t be selling Frankenpicks to anyone soon, but, since you asked, and we are kindred spirits, if you PM an address to me, I will make sure that you will get a new and improved Bride of Frankenpick to see what you think (if you don't care for it . . . toss it, lose it in the sofa, or pass it on). Bride of Frankenpick will be a Gator-Grip 2.0mm sandwiched between two Brain 0.53mm picks (the green ones). These are the ones that Daryl recommended earlier in this thread. Supplies are already ordered. Now, lets see . . . . superhero? Nope, you must be getting me confused with that Aqua-man guy, and the undies over tights? . . . . . that probably won’t happen for another 20 years or so. No motto, yet, but I do fight for picks all over the world.

Dermot – Thanks for the clarification. You are a true gentleman.

cabro wrote:
Invariably that's where it starts "So, you play guitar?"
Cabro - A great tactic, called trolling for musicians. An effective way to make new contacts!

Hydroman52

michelew

Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:35 pm

Hydroman52 wrote:
Michele – Never look down your nose at duct tape, it may save your life some day. The heart shape? Never looked at it like that. I always saw it as a pick with a bite out of it. I see the heart, now. Does that mean you’re a glass half-full person and I’m a glass half-empty? Greater control? Yes, a little bit more of that. Man hands? Yes, it’s mostly heart shaped because of that . . . . . . when I get a bit aggressive with the playing, the normal pick will rub my finger just below the second knuckle and cause a painful irritation and sometimes a blister. The solution was to get rid of the problem part of the pick. I guess, by chance, it just looks like a heart in a lopsided sort of way. I won’t be selling Frankenpicks to anyone soon, but, since you asked, and we are kindred spirits, if you PM an address to me, I will make sure that you will get a new and improved Bride of Frankenpick to see what you think (if you don't care for it . . . toss it, lose it in the sofa, or pass it on). Bride of Frankenpick will be a Gator-Grip 2.0mm sandwiched between two Brain 0.53mm picks (the green ones). These are the ones that Daryl recommended earlier in this thread. Supplies are already ordered. Now, lets see . . . . superhero? Nope, you must be getting me confused with that Aqua-man guy, and the undies over tights? . . . . . that probably won’t happen for another 20 years or so. No motto, yet, but I do fight for picks all over the world.

Hydroman52
Thanks for the info Hydroman. I know that duct tape is my friend. I don't carry it around with me yet, but its come in mighty handy in the past.

Half-full, half empty; hmmmm... well I do try for half-full, but it really does depend on the phase of the moon.

I'm really tempted by your Frankenpick offer...but given how much work's involved in their spawning and their rarity, I'm not sure that I want to become addicted. Perhaps it's best to not fall in love. I won't miss what I've never experienced right? (well that works in theory...) :) So for now just keep us posted on your Frankenpick journey. If you find the perfect combo I might just copy your efforts given our shared experience to date. I'll be watching. But thanks for your EXTREMELY generous offer. :)

So not willing to reveal your superhero life or you secret identity yet. I can appreciate that. I won't tell anyone.... promise. But, I'm happy to help you in your fight for picks (plectrums) all over the world.

Thanks. You rock!

Michele (kindred spirit)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic