thumb pick too large?

auntlynnie

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:53 am

Jay,
I used fingerpicks for about 30 years. It is a personal choice, so you may have to try quite a few, and maybe none will be perfect, but as others said, you can customize them. That being said, once you get it figured out, keep a spare or two. I kept the same set of fingerpicks and thumb pick for about 30 years. Eventually I just decided to try playing without them because I felt I might be able to be a bit more versatile. Don't know if that actually occurred, but now I am used to playing without them.

Auntlynnie

sws626

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:06 pm

A year or so ago, I ordered a couple of dozen different styles, thicknesses and sizes, hoping that I could find one that I got on with. But I did not get on with any of them. They were invariably too long. If filed or cut down, they were all too stiff. Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to the different distance between the thumb and strings and the different angle of attack. But, as much as I'd like to be able to do it, I don't think I'm meant to play with a thumb pick. For me, I think the far better solution will be to grow a better thumbnail.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic