Pick Frustration!!

fjeanmur

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:50 pm

HI Michael!

It seems that you've already gotten some good suggestions. I think we've all been frustrated with picks at one time or another. I never used one until I started with TG and I still don't play with one all the time. I think because I didn't start off determined to learn how to use a pick that I just gradually got accustomed to one. still not as comfortable as I am with fingers, but it's getting there. I know it's hard to be patient, but you will get the hang of it. Good luck.

Jean

msdnman

Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:43 pm

Still working on it, waiting for some new picks and gorilla snot to come in the mail... I'm glad picks are non destructive though, I've thrown several across the room!! :)

Thanks for the great suggestions, the greatest of which is patience!!

wiley

Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:49 pm

marshola

Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:29 am

I assume you are using at least a medium pick, the thin ones don't offer much resistance. Like others are saying it won't be a problem if you stick with it. Most importantly, find a pro and check with several teachers on you tube to be sure you are holding the pick correctly. Learning a bad habit in the beginning will hold you back if you want to be versatile with the flat pick.....that said, If you can't find any of the snot someone mentioned, go to a music store and get some fiddle rosin, scrape some dust off and put it on your thumb and finger. The body heat will make it sticky enough to help...a little experimenting here. Then go out to a bluegrass or Old Time music jam where the songs are long , fast, easy to follow, and have 2-4 chords traditional chords. A few weekends of that should make you one with your flat pick and you might even have some fun.

sbutler

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:41 am

Michael, I have the same frustration with picks. I don't use them much, and need to work harder at getting more proficient with them. So the brand/type that I've found that I really like is called ULTRA COOL. The thing that i like about these picks is, they have the name on the pick stamped with a "rubber" type feel to them. The grippy stuff does wear off after a while, so I order them online, a dozen at a time. But the grip, or traction in your fingers is amazing.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ult ... itar+picks

Scott

jimi40

Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:26 pm

had the same problem
love the Dunlop max grip picks

sandysue

Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:02 pm

Yes, thank you Wiley for giving me the pistol grip like guitar pick device and I have used it from time to time, but I'm a finger style guitar player mostly so I have to force myself to use a pick.

Neil told me to use the green Dunlop .88 mm pick so that's the one I use. Mine still twirls around, and falls out of my hand regularly while I'm playing, and I still find it hard to hit the right strings sometimes. Someone already mentioned muscle memory, and I think that's right, I think If you use a pick long enough your brain and muscles will eventually figure it out as long as you are using the proper technique for holding the pick.

Sandy

msdnman

Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:52 pm

I may have figured this out... Being a finger picker I don't move my forearm very much, my hand just stays in the same place and picks. I was kinda doing the same thing when strumming, the arm stayed in the same place and I would just twist my forearm to strum. Once I started keeping my wrist more firm (not twisting it nearly as much) and strumming from the elbow things got much better!! I hope that makes sense? I'm curious what your thoughts are on my discovery?

Thanks!
Michael

willem

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:16 pm

I think the wrist should twist too,, I'm back to my double glue tape trick, practicing a song with more a focused strum on the bass strings I could'nt do, the pick was everywhere, now it stays on his place and as the angle to the strings needed..

Willem

msdnman

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:56 pm

There is still some wrist movement but not nearly as much. I have some Gorilla Snot and that seems to work good, I just don't want to become dependent on it to strum well. If at someones house and they have a guitar I want to be able to pick it up and play without the crutch of snot or tape.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic