Increasing finger speed when playing scales

Neil replies to questions from our members.
litlfeat

Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:46 pm

I have been trying to develop my finger speed when playing scales (pentatonic, major, minor) but cannot seem to increase the speed as needed to play leads that Neil shows in his lessons.

He makes it looks so easy I often wonder if at my age (64) I will ever be able to accomplish that ability.

Been taking lessons for 2 years and a target member since the very beginning.

Any suggestions to improve would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Litlfeat :S

heatndude

Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi litlfeat, what has helped me is I need to basically warm up my hands. I stretch my fingers, hands, forearms etc... The play a few simple chord changes and stretch more if needed. Tends to loosen up my fingers for faster changes. Also practice practice practice eventually my fingers start behaving for me.

Mark

Welcome to the forum !

AndyT

Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:33 pm

Try practicing it slow for 20 minutes then play it as fast as you can for 5 min. If you do this everyday, in a week you should see improvement. USE A METRONOME to control your speed. Otherwise this exercise will just teach you how to be sloppy.

Anytime you are practicing, you should be using a metronome. It helps you develop good control as well as good timing.

beaker

Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 pm

yeah, the previous advice regarding the metronome is KEY. Plus what I have been doing is practicing the chromatic scale. It is impractical for leads but it seems to be valuable for building dexterity. Have fun with it. Beaker.

Do you play.... When I am 64?

wrench

Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:54 pm

Fingers on which hand? Doesn't matter, my answer is the same regardless - technique. On the fretting hand, select the proper position on the neck, select the proper fingers for that position, and think out your changes using lead finger techniques and fingerings that bring economy of motion to the piece you are playing. On the plucking hand, be mindful of the type of notes (1/4, 1/8, etc.) and whether those notes are up/down strokes with a flatpick or with an alternate finger when fingerpicking. Neil makes it look easy because it is easy to play correctly; it is much more difficult to play poorly. I believe it is much more a matter of technique than it is a matter of age, physical attributes, or talent. Those things become important at some level, but certainly not at the one I'm at! The other guys are right about the metronome, too.

willem

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:41 am

Sometimes it looks quick but it aint..well some are and a tad slower is nothing wrong with,,when you play alone then it ain't so bad when you out of time,but it is better to be,,every thing goes with practice and Neil tell's how,,just listen to to lesson over and over(for me it is,,have to fight a language to),,

Edit,,i think it as nothing to do with age when everything is alright,,it's the technick..

mark

Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:31 am

As others have said the metronome is key.

Set it to a tempo that you can play comfortably and practice the scale at this tempo.
When you can play at this speed with very few mistakes move the tempo up a little and repeat.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:52 am

Howdy Litlfeat! good to see another founding member come out of the woodwork. Here's another suggestion for you. Can you close you're eyes and imagine (visualise) the scale you are playing? Play it through as exact as possible in your mind. Feel it, hear it, in your head with eyes closed. You can move your fingers to it if you like. When you visualise with your eyes closed, you activate the same neurons as when you actually play and then some! Once the movements are automatic, speed will follow, no problem. Good for any brain of any age. :-)

BigBear

Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:54 am

Mark (heatndude) makes an outstanding point. All guitarists, at any level need to warm up their hands before they play seriously. As I get older I really notice my hands don't get loose as easily as they did.

I'm no speed demon on leads but a couple of things I've learned have really increased my speed:

1. I know I sound like a broken record but accuracy is much more important than speed. Don't ever sacrifice accuracy for speed. It just breeds slopiness.

2. Start very slowly and build up. I play little mind games with myself when I practice that if I start scales at one speed I can't play faster until I play a scale perfectly. I don't use a metronome although it's a good idea I suppose. My practice is more free-flowing where I speed up and or slow down all the time. If I'm playing a lead with a backing track I let the song be my metronome. To me, leads and metronome don't always go together. Songs and chords yes, but leads tend to be "feel" oriented.

3. Don't just play scales up and down. Play them up and down and front to back up the neck. We guitarists often forget the guitar has 15-25 frets. Use them all!

4. Always work on your alternating picking as you play scales or leads. This is/was my biggest buggaboo. You have to be a good alternating picker before you can think about building speed.

5. Don't just play single notes in some order or pattern. I practice three note runs for example . Then three note runs with the next run starting on the second note of the previous run. Up, down, forward and back.

6. This is a biggy, but when you start feeling cocky, stop watching yourself play!! watch Neil, he rarely looks down even when he's playing lead. Nothing will build your chops like playing blind. Incredibly helpful!

Oh, did I mention the TARGET mantra? PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!! lol! There is just no substitute!

Good luck!! :cheer:

willem

Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:24 pm

BigBear wrote:
Mark (heatndude) makes an outstanding point. All guitarists, at any level need to warm up their hands before they play seriously. As I get older I really notice my hands don't get loose as easily as they did.

I'm no speed demon on leads but a couple of things I've learned have really increased my speed:

1. I know I sound like a broken record but accuracy is much more important than speed. Don't ever sacrifice accuracy for speed. It just breeds slopiness.

2. Start very slowly and build up. I play little mind games with myself when I practice that if I start scales at one speed I can't play faster until I play a scale perfectly. I don't use a metronome although it's a good idea I suppose. My practice is more free-flowing where I speed up and or slow down all the time. If I'm playing a lead with a backing track I let the song be my metronome. To me, leads and metronome don't always go together. Songs and chords yes, but leads tend to be "feel" oriented.

3. Don't just play scales up and down. Play them up and down and front to back up the neck. We guitarists often forget the guitar has 15-25 frets. Use them all!

4. Always work on your alternating picking as you play scales or leads. This is/was my biggest buggaboo. You have to be a good alternating picker before you can think about building speed.

5. Don't just play single notes in some order or pattern. I practice three note runs for example . Then three note runs with the next run starting on the second note of the previous run. Up, down, forward and back.

6. This is a biggy, but when you start feeling cocky, stop watching yourself play!! watch Neil, he rarely looks down even when he's playing lead. Nothing will build your chops like playing blind. Incredibly helpful!

Oh, did I mention the TARGET mantra? PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!! lol! There is just no substitute!

Good luck!! :cheer:
Rick,,you said you take a hug any time,well its time again..this i got to remember...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic