Reviews - Question

Neil replies to questions from our members.
thereshopeyet

Wed May 15, 2013 4:44 pm

Neil

May 10th News

At the end of the video you mentioned that you plan to cut back on FOTW's and Reviews.

I know that I haven't posted many for review but I always like the thought that it's available.

Dermot

:)

skaladar

Wed May 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Now that you mention it Dermot, I was pretty disappointed at hearing plans to cut back, particularly on the reviews, to step up production of songs as well. One of the first things I always look for when logging on are lesson reviews, lessons uploaded for review and new lessons … pretty much in that order. I've always thought the ability to upload a lesson for review to be one of the best features of TG. I find the reviews of target lessons uploaded by others, many of which I’m either working on or have added to my never ending to-do (marshmallow?) list, extremely helpful. I can understand the reasoning behind a cut back … sort of. It may be time consuming but the time spent giving tips on technique, ways to improve, where next to go with a song etc. on an existing target lesson can’t be even close to as time consuming as producing a new song.

Of course cutting back in no way means eliminating so I am hopeful but I was already getting concerned about a potential slowdown of lesson reviews due to the necessary time devoted to the upcoming IGC. Okay now I am starting to sound like I’m complaining and I’m not. Neil, I can’t imagine how you find the hours in the day to do all you do for us. It’s astounding, and very much appreciated. If anything I just want to emphasize how important I, and I would think many others here, find the lesson reviews and I hope they don’t go away, at least too far.

♫ Ken ♫

mark

Wed May 15, 2013 6:59 pm

I also think that the student reviews are one of the best and most important features of the site.

There is often some great information in them which doesn't get into the main lessons.

Neil said he would be cutting back on them and not stopping them, so I'm sure he will continue to do some.

TGNeil

Wed May 15, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi Guys,

Not to worry, I have a few on the schedule and I will get them rolling again pretty soon.
Keep the uploads coming!

Neil

TGMatt

Wed May 15, 2013 7:13 pm

Guys.

Neil is not stopping reviews, we discussed this together, there are a couple of reasons we are slowing them, one is there are not at present enough quality ones, he feels warrant a review, when they show he will do them, secondly we are focusing on content, in general, lessons first as that is the lifeblood of the site, and one in which a few comments were made recently that even though we are creating more than we promised every week, it seems its never enough..

There is only one Neil, and he has no distractions at all other than content creation, and that is what he will be doing, lessons, reviews etc.

I want to make this clear as a I have read it a couple of times, the IGC is not a focus for Neil right now, it is handled , he is not spending time on this other than a weekly update for questions raised, so please know his focus is on creating content for this site daily, the IGC is planned and handled, and Neil will only be participating when it arrives..for now our focus is on some new packages, some new music, some more lessons off the recommend a lesson mix, and we have some new announcements on content creation coming shortly including a surprise or two.

Rest assured you will not be lacking for volume of lessons in one form or another.

Thx

thereshopeyet

Wed May 15, 2013 7:46 pm

Matt Wrote:
Rest assured you will not be lacking for volume of lessons in one form or another.
I never doubted it Matt, there's more than enough to keep me busy for 10 lifetimes already !

TG Neil Said
Re- Reviews - there are not at present enough quality ones
Well I can put my hand up to that..... my last upload of Nick Drakes - Pink Moon shouldn't have been uploaded.
I was really only asking a question within the forum where it was suggested I post a video.
:blush: :blush: It can be deleted from the reviews Matt, I'll understand.

I look forward to all content you upload on the site.

Thanks

Dermot

TGMatt

Wed May 15, 2013 7:52 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Matt Wrote:
I never doubted it Matt, there's more than enough to keep me busy for 10 lifetimes already !

TG Neil Said
Re- Reviews - there are not at present enough quality ones
Well I can put my hand up to that..... my last upload of Nick Drakes - Pink Moon shouldn't have been uploaded.
I was really only asking a question within the forum where it was suggested I post a video.

Thanks

Dermot
Dermot..

I would never suggest that you remove your video, nor suggest any one else doubt an upload, who the hell knows what Neil will comment on , do a review of or generally mention somewhere...never sensor yourself on reviews, leave it to him to decide, always. Remember reviews help other members with their journey and frankly even if Neil does not address a particular upload you know that the community will, and this in itself is valuable..so to all listening...no censorship of your reviews, you just never know what your going to get out of it.

Cheers

Music Junkie

Wed May 15, 2013 9:06 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:

Thanks

Dermot
Dermot:

I agree with Matt's response. I think that uploads such as yours are perfect! It's those little troublesome spots that you can capture and share that really put an emphasis on the teaching moment. Also, even if Neil does not chime in, someone will, and there are quite a few folks that are pretty good players and have great advice. I think it takes guts to put yourself out there like that, and I also think that it is part of what makes this site so great. So, keep them coming... B)

Jason

thereshopeyet

Thu May 16, 2013 2:59 am

Matt

Thanks for the explanation.
As you say, never say never.

Jason

Thanks for your response too.
I still owe Dean an upload but my progress on it is not great at the moment.
More practice needed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic