Song Order/Difficulty

Neil replies to questions from our members.
Chasplaya

Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:55 pm

TGJIM wrote:
Hi Guys,

Lesson levels are going to be added to the Master Menu. It is just about done actually even though you can't see it yet.
Just checked out the Master Menu, brilliant this is what I believe we've all been waiting for. Colour coded (color for Bear)also numerical. Good job team!

Rod

Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:47 am

Hey guys am I blind or has the master menu just not gone live yet as i can't find it anywhere. Can you post the URL please.

Cheers Rod...

AcousticAl

Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:53 am

The only place you won't see it is in these forums. It's everywhere else (tg community, target, tg vids, tg blog)

Chasplaya

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:25 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
The only place you won't see it is in these forums. It's everywhere else (tg community, target, tg vids, tg blog)
It is now on these forums, only just though cos i'm sure it wasn't there yesterday.

Catman

Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:58 am

Rod wrote:
Hey guys am I blind or has the master menu just not gone live yet as i can't find it anywhere. Can you post the URL please.

Cheers Rod...
Rod, some advertisement blocking add-ins identify the master menu button as an advertising banner, and block it. I know this from experience: on my Firefox 3.5.2 browser it was blocked by AdBlock Plus. If you have such an add-in, disable it for totallyguitars.com, then you should be able to see it.

Update: with the new change just out, my comment no longer applies. You should be able to see the button just under the "Home" button.

helloworld

Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:33 am

The song difficulty rating is a real time saver(keeps me from trying to play songs out of my skill range). Is there any way to have this list as a menu item in the main menu, with links to each lesson?

mrstripes

Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:02 pm

Thanks so much for this. As someone new to the site and and someone who is attempting to go about learning in an orderly manner (I am one of those "intermediate players" you talk about who knows a little of this and a little of that...) this was was VERY helpful. :)

sbutler

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:19 pm

Ok Neil,
I'm brand spanking new to this forum and the target program, so I'm happy that one of my first questions was somewhat answered by this topic of how songs are rated by difficulty. So excuse me if this second part to the original has been answered, but I am a little confused. An example would be Angie. You have rated it a 7. However, I find it much easier to work through this song, then say Dust in the Wind, which is rated 4

I wouldn't rate myself any higher than beginning intermediate, so the question is, what defines difficulty? Would it be the type of chords, the cord progressions, finger picking, the speed of finger picking, or more specifically finger picking styles? Honestly, the only reason it matters is I can objectively rate myself and monitor my own progress.

Otherwise, I'm happy as a "hobo on a hot dog" to have found you and your guitar lesson website. Your style of teaching fits me perfectly, and I am hooked.

Thanks for your hard work in putting all this together. Please keep it up.

Scott

Chasplaya

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:31 pm

sbutler wrote:
Ok Neil,
I'm brand spanking new to this forum and the target program, so I'm happy that one of my first questions was somewhat answered by this topic of how songs are rated by difficulty. So excuse me if this second part to the original has been answered, but I am a little confused. An example would be Angie. You have rated it a 7. However, I find it much easier to work through this song, then say Dust in the Wind, which is rated 4

I wouldn't rate myself any higher than beginning intermediate, so the question is, what defines difficulty? Would it be the type of chords, the cord progressions, finger picking, the speed of finger picking, or more specifically finger picking styles? Honestly, the only reason it matters is I can objectively rate myself and monitor my own progress.

Otherwise, I'm happy as a "hobo on a hot dog" to have found you and your guitar lesson website. Your style of teaching fits me perfectly, and I am hooked.

Thanks for your hard work in putting all this together. Please keep it up.

Scott
I would hazard a guess and say all of the above determines song level. This is a very subjective topic as individuals learn in different ways and some things do come easier than they do for others, I have also found some 'supposed' harder songs easier than lower rated ones, many factors at work here. Suffice to say the levels are generally based on chord progression , whether there are barre chords etc, fingering and stretches. There is and never could be a one size fits all, the numbering system is a broad rule of thumb, fairly representative of most beginners but thereafter we move and improve at our own speed, and this can depend on past music experience how long we practice each day. A recent post by Wrench just shows what can be done here Wrench stepped up and attempted 'The Sage' a level 8 and he did a credible job, now he did not rate himself to be an 8, but it goes to show Neils system works and if you put in the work it will pay off. So really the list and levels are a guide at best you need to find your level and work from there, each of us despite levels usually find our nemesis and have to put in more work than any other song but by following Neils teaching you get there. Having said that though the songs levels to a degree build on each other and add in new technique or expand on the previous. More importantly the Genius series is well worth working on either first or simultaneously with the songs as many gems can be found their.

Sorry not a definitive answer.

Chas

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic