Finger & String Problems

Neil replies to questions from our members.
machoy4617

Thu May 07, 2009 2:59 pm

Hi Neil

I am having chord problems. The problem is not the chord itself it when say im playing a G chord my finger on the 6th string blocks out the sound from the 5th string and vice versa. It happens on alot of chord when my fingers are close together in chord like D. AM, E etc. I hope you can help me as i have been practicing a whole lot but to no avail.

Tom

Guitarmom

Thu May 07, 2009 3:54 pm

Hi Tom,

I know you posed this question to Neil, but I hope you don't mind a comment from another member. It sounds like your finger position to the strings is more flat than arched. This can be from a number of reasons, one of which is fingernails that are too long, and to get your finger in contact with the string you have to lay them flat when pressing down. Watch Neil in some videos and you'll see what I mean about arched fingers. The nails on your left hand have to kept VERY VERY short, so they don't keep you form the strings. Just a thought.

Rev Kate

machoy4617

Fri May 08, 2009 1:44 pm

hi Kate

Thank you for your reply it is appreciated. I feel i do have a good arch on my fingers and I always keep my finger nails really short.
I am at a loss as to what to do. Kat if you have anymore suggestion or if anyone else has please let me know.

Thanks

Tom

P.S Hope you have some suggestions Neil

map4242

Fri May 08, 2009 2:32 pm

My fingers are large so I fight the same problem a lot.
Mostly, I have to try to keep in good form, that is, my fingers perpendicular to the strings so that the narrowest part of the tips of my fingers is presented to adjacent strings. Neil's video of holding the guitar and fretting show this really well.
I also the action of my guitar lowered, so that my fingers didn't have to go so far through the strings to fret.
But that is between you, your guitar and your luthier to decide if your action is right.

Mark

rcsnydley

Fri May 08, 2009 10:41 pm

Tom,

I had this same problem when I first started to play. Now, I don't know if you are new to guitar or have been playing for a while. I will tell you that with time I was able to correct this problem with proper left hand positioning and I think also my fingers got better at being where they needed to be (muscle memory).

One thing you can try is different fingerings. I used to finger it with my pinky on the 1st string and my index and middle fingers on the 5th and 6th strings respectively to be able to get more arch in my fingers as they are not real long. As time went on and I developed as a player I am now able to finger it several different ways.

I hope some of this my be of help to you.

Keep Playing
Ric

Desmond

Fri May 08, 2009 11:18 pm

When I started playing (all of about a couple months ago) I learned to play what some people call a 'four finger G', but I know Neil likes to teach the fingering that you are using so I have been practicing it. I have the same problem that you do, but I can alleviate the problem by dropping my wrist lower than normal. I am hoping that through continued practice I will be able to do it without changing my wrist so much. One thing I think a lot of teachers would tell you is to make sure that you have your thumb on the back of the neck, and not creeping up around it 'like a baseball bat'

-Desmond

rcsnydley

Sat May 09, 2009 12:21 am

I never fingered the G like Neil does until now. I see the advantages of his fingering for using your index finger for embellishments. I love the "4 finger G" and still use it when appropriate, i.e. to achieve a particular sound or voicing.

I feel it is important to know and be able to use different fingering for chords (where that is possible). I like to be as economical as possible when playing so sometimes certain fingerings lend themselves better at certain times than others.
So, to make a short story long, I have been using Neil's G fingering unless I have a reason to use another.

Perhaps not being able to use his now means you use another while you work on making his usable.

Keep Playing
Ric

machoy4617

Sat May 09, 2009 12:10 pm

Hi Again
Thanks for all your repies so far.
I know how to play chords to an extent so would it be of advantage to sort the problem problem I have by investing in a slightly wider fretboard neck

Tom

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic