Any info to aid in scale knowledge?

Neil replies to questions from our members.
admin

Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:10 pm

Neil:

O.K.! After surfing around the site for the last few weeks, I have become sadly aware that I need some brushing up on theory. Most specifically the scales. I get the major scale and its construction (WWHWWWH). I also understand that the resultant chords are (I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, and viidim). I also get that other scales are constructed by adding/deleting certain degrees or sharping/flatting certain degrees of the major scale (I don't have all of them memorized yet) . I get a bit confused as to WHEN and HOW they are applied and also the "Six" patterns that have been referred to. I have heard you talk about finding them elsewhere on the site, but have not been able to get what I am looking for as of yet. Also, do the scales go hand in hand with progressions?

Sorry if the question is a bit bone-headed, but I would really appreciate it if you could shed some light on this topic.

Thanks,
Jason

acoustom

Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi Jason,
Sounds like you have a good start on the major scale. Try this website it might help clear up some things and then I would suggest taking the formula and with a piece of paper write down A,E,G,C,D on the left hand column one letter under the other and then using the major scale formula and remembering no sharps or flats between E F and B C write out the notes in each key. After you get that down exand to all the keys and then start memorizing the 1st, 3rd and 5th of each scale. This will take some time. Try and spend 20 minutes a day on this and when you're driving to work see if you can do them in your head. After you're done you'll know all the notes in all keys, how to spell the root chord in all keys and you already know how to figure out the minors and majors, so you'll have a lot of theory under your belt. That's a good foundation to build on. Try this website: http://www.cyberfret.com/theory/major-scales/index.php
Blessings, Tom

Music Junkie

Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:11 pm

Acoustom:

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have been intending to get some paper out and just sit down and create my own worksheet with all of the scales and their resultant chords. I figure if I sit down and write them out myself it will stick with me longer than just looking at them on a website or piece of paper that someone else did.

From there, I guess it would be good practice to just strum through them and get familiar with the sounds, fingerings and transitions. I am hoping that getting all of those down will really help out in transcribing and composing.

MJ

acoustom

Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:23 pm

Hey Mj
It's invaluable knowing how to figure out what chords in which keys and so on. It took me a while but now if we're playing something in the band and someone wants to switch keys I can look at the same chord chart but play it in the new key by transposing in my head. So I'm looking at the chords in D but playing them in G for example. Really nice to be able to do. It's tedious work but it pays off. Just keep at it. Best of luck. tom

Diver1

Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:38 am

Hi Jason- I'm in kind of in the same boat. Been Playing for a few years as well. One thing I realized very quickly- with out knowing theory you really are headed down a dark road. So I have gotten away from playing songs and headed deep into theory. The Major scale is the starting spot. By 6 pattern - I think you or your reference means 5 patterns - refered to as CAGED patterns. I suggest learning them and when you play a scale get use to saying the note as you play it And playing a 1st (tonic note) to a 3rd, to a 5th and so forth. Key in on the sound the INTERVAL gives you. This is like exercise- its never finished and its a daily thing.
Couple of reference materials that might help:
1) May 2009 Acoustic Guitar MAgazine- article on "Master the MAjor Scale"
2) Book: "Scales over Cords" by Wilbur Savidge and Randy Vradenburg
3) Web Site: wwwfreeguitarvideos.com they have some $5.00 video's with downloadable printable materials and backing tracks that deal specifically with Major Scale Exercises. Really good fun to play along with.

Hope this helps- I got to go and practice my scales.

Take Care;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic