strumming-stiff right wrist

Neil replies to questions from our members.
nemastetaylor

Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:14 am

Any suggestions so that I can strum like Neil does?? My right wrist does not relax and strum like that. I always joke and tell my friends that I can't strum to save my life. I am soo much better at fingerstyle. I never really learned how to strum. I am better than before.

BigBear

Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:33 am

First, welcome to the forum! We're glad to have you!

Strumming is more rotational than anything else. The wrist is relaxed but firm (maybe stable is a better word). Most important, at least to me, is to keep your hand relaxed. Just enough finger pressure to hold the pick but no more. Just enough pressure to not drop the pick in the sound hole (we've all done it!!).

If you put the "Death Pinch" on your pick everything from your fingertips through your hand and wrist and up your arm will be tense. Much like golf, nothing good happens when all those big muscles are clamping down on a little tiny pick.

Strumming takes practice to get right but it will come quickly if you practice, practice, practice (where have I heard that before?)!

Happy playin' and good luck!!

FlatPick

Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:32 pm

I heard an analogy once that kind of stuck with me, it is like you're flipping water off your hand.

rcsnydley

Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:14 pm

Welcome to the forum.
BigBear has it right practice, practice, practice. As you do you will start to get the hang of it. I remember struggling with strumming and not quit getting it. Then it seems like all of a sudden it just came to me, but that was after working on it for quit a while.
Now I'm working on fingerstyle which seemed impossible at first. I'm have stuck with it and made it a big part of my practice regimen and you know what, it's finally starting to come around.
So, just keep working on it and it'll come.

Keep Playing
Ric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic