Natural Scale

Neil replies to questions from our members.
AndyT

Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:08 am

Ok, I understand its not really a scale.
Other than helping to take standard notation from paper to the fretboard, whats it good for?

bhudson

Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:17 am

If you are talking about all the natural notes in 1st position (meaning open to the 3rd fret on each string), it shows you all the white notes (piano lingo) in 1st position. It is not a scale because it starts on low E and ends on high G.

I really like students to be able to see the difference between black and white notes on the guitar, just as they would on the piano.

I will elaborate on this someday in a video lesson, probably, but let the speculation and discussions begin!

Neil

AndyT

Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:23 am

Yep. Thats the one I'm talking about.

Ok all you speculators, whats the answer?

BigBear

Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:46 am

I always thought the natural scale was the diatonic scale that didn't have any sharps or flats. Or were you asking about the natural minor scale which is a little different.

AndyT

Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:18 am

I'm talking about all the natural notes in first position that Neil teaches about in the beginners section.

Chasplaya

Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:27 am

This discussion can get quite thoeretical and talk about solfege, fixed do and moveable do and the fact that that music scholars from different countries still don't agree . Some simply say that it is the singing scale Do re me fa sol la ti do .

What it does for me is to do my head in!!!

AndyT

Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:37 am

I can see how I can use it to find where to play notes from standard notation, and find chords with it also from standard notation, but other than that, knowing the neck and just great practice, I really don't see an obvious use for it. (As if great practice wasn't enough)

Chasplaya

Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:45 am

AndyT wrote:
I can see how I can use it to find where to play notes from standard notation, and find chords with it also from standard notation, but other than that, knowing the neck and just great practice, I really don't see an obvious use for it. (As if great practice wasn't enough)
knowledge is power...

AndyT

Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:54 am

Whats really a trip is I was watching one of Neils 'mode' videos and I understood it. I have no idea what its for, but I knew what he was talking about. Thats scary.

Chasplaya

Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:30 am

AndyT wrote:
Whats really a trip is I was watching one of Neils 'mode' videos and I understood it. I have no idea what its for, but I knew what he was talking about. Thats scary.
One of these days i'll get off the forum and watch some of these videos lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic