Tuesday Afternoon

Neil replies to questions from our members.
dopeygm

Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks for the video. It took me two days to get the Am part. Question. For the Bb barring the 1st and 3rd fret, does the 1st string get played? Having problem with bar on 3rd fret. Any suggetions?

BigBear

Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:54 pm

dopeygm wrote:
Thanks for the video. It took me two days to get the Am part. Question. For the Bb barring the 1st and 3rd fret, does the 1st string get played? Having problem with bar on 3rd fret. Any suggetions?
I've been playing it without the high F in the barre and it sounds fine. I don't think the tab shows it played either. I've been trying to hit that darned Bb barre for 40 years and I still only get it clean about 75% of the time. Very frustrating!!

BTW- welcome to the forum!

tgjameela

Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:14 pm

The F on the 1st string is not necessary in most situations so don't worry about it. If you need it you are better off playing the Bb as an E shape at the 6th fret. This has all kinds of advantages with really the only disadvantage being that you probably have to make a big position change. The E bar shape can also usually be played without your 3rd finger on the 5th string, using it instead on the 4th string. This leaves your 4th finger free to add some extra melody notes or chord tones. I talk about this fingering in the Grandfather's Clock lesson and recommend it for ALL fingerpicking applications.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic