Guitar for my 10 year old son

Neil replies to questions from our members.
Strummer85

Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi Neil, My son has shown interest in your target beginner lessons and we were wondering what kind of guitar that you would recommend for him? I am considering a 3/4 nylon string as that seems to be the eaisest for him to handle.

Thank you for all of the amazing lessons and songs. Some I have known for a while but your indepth lessons have provided me with a whole new deminsion on the same song.

Rodney

BigBear

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Strummer85 wrote:
Hi Neil, My son has shown interest in your target beginner lessons and we were wondering what kind of guitar that you would recommend for him? I am considering a 3/4 nylon string as that seems to be the eaisest for him to handle.

Thank you for all of the amazing lessons and songs. Some I have known for a while but your indepth lessons have provided me with a whole new deminsion on the same song.

Rodney
Rodney, a big welcome to the forum!! Glad you could join us!

A nylon string guitar is a good idea but I think a ten year old could play a steel string. Tell him the mark of a real guitarist is building up good calluses! LOL!

I bought my kids both small Fender steel string acoutics. Then I spent a few dollars getting the action lowered because I believe nothing will turn off a young player faster than a guitar that is too hard to play. But there is only so much adjustment you can do without a truss rod. And make sure to put light guage strings on it!! Really important.

The Fender was under a $100 bucks and was cheaply made but it sounded like a real guitar and was the right size. One of my kids graduated to a nice Seagull and the other lost interest. I point this out because it isn't worth spending a lot of money until you see if they catch "the Bug"!

Ten is a great age to start and you can really have some fun with them. I miss those days!

Good luck and Happy playin'

Music Junkie

Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:36 pm

I agree with BigBear. I bought both of my sons guitars last year for Christmas and they love them. One was a Fender steel string 3/4 size(steel strings are nice for kids because the neck is a bit slimmer than their nylon stringed counterparts and it is good to build those calluses - light guage strings for sure!), and the other was a Dean Playmate 1/2 size steel string. Neither one stays in tune very long, but certainly long enough for them to play for a few days at a time. If they show continued interest, then it makes more sense to graduate to a better guitar at that time. Good luck!

MJ

Chasplaya

Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:36 am

I bought my step daughter a JOhnson steel string cutaway it's a laminate and didn't cost too much but it does the job. She had a 3/4 nylon before that and never played it much, but she tries more with the steel string.

AndyT

Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:14 am

We were given one of those small toy 'First Act' guitars and my granddaughter flat out loves it! I tuned it up and she jams out right there with me. She also had a really old beat up 1/2 size nylon string she liked also. Nothing over $30 for her! LOL

AcousticAl

Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:13 pm

I got my 10 yr old daughter a cheap acoustic but had it restrung with nylon strings to go easy on her fingers. Sad to say she didn't take to it. Happy to say she loves piano instead! I don't care what instrument she plays, as long as she enjoys herself doing it.

Al

AndyT

Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:05 pm

You strum and she can bang the ivories! Now you just have to teach the wife to play Drums....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic