down and up strokes

Neil replies to questions from our members.
musicdoc522

Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:31 am

Can someone please clarify which strokes are down and which are up when you are playing lead parts like in an intro to a song. For instance, I am working on Ripple. Do bass notes automatically get a down stroke? Does the first note in a measure get a downstroke? Some explanation would help so i can indicate on the tab and play it to death until i memorize it. thanks

Ed

BigBear

Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:13 pm

musicdoc522 wrote:
Can someone please clarify which strokes are down and which are up when you are playing lead parts like in an intro to a song. For instance, I am working on Ripple. Do bass notes automatically get a down stroke? Does the first note in a measure get a downstroke? Some explanation would help so i can indicate on the tab and play it to death until i memorize it. thanks

Ed

Ed- Neil may crucify me for this but the short answer is it depends on the song. But usually the down is on the first beat or odd numbered beats 1, 2, 3, 4. So if the song starts on beat 1 and skips beat 2 the next beat would be another down as beat 3. I assume Ripple continues this pattern.

This goes out the window if the song, like From the Beginning, is cross-picked so it's down, down, down and up on the last beat to reverse direction.

Don't know if that helps but that seems to be the normal approach.

Cheers! :cheer:

AndyT

Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:01 pm

Very simply put, Down strokes are on the numbers and upstrokes are on the 'ands'. After you learn a couple of strum patterns, it will suddenly make sense.

musicdoc522

Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:04 am

I thank all of you. I think I have it by instinct about 75% of the time, but I really am going to have to start counting beats or using a metronome.

Ed

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:22 am

musicdoc522 wrote:
I thank all of you. I think I have it by instinct about 75% of the time, but I really am going to have to start counting beats or using a metronome.

Ed
Ed:

A metronome will really start to make those things stand out more. I used to struggle with that tremendously (still do to some extent). The use of a metronome was VERY helpful. I had a hard time trying learn to play along with one, but it gets easier, and it really does help.

Cheers!

:)

Chasplaya

Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:14 pm

As Neil has said there are no rules, which although quite true is not helpful for this query. Most Bass notes would be down strokes and yes most odd numbered notes are down whereas the evens are up. In a 4/4 strum all quarter notes mostly down, when eighth notes come into play like Andy says the ands can be ups. And also as Bear says it really depends on the song. Metronomes will help with the timing but not the stroke direction so much. The ear is the best guide, if in doubt play it both ways slowly and listen hard to what sounds right to you. Or even better if you can find a vid of original , watch it closely.

wrench

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:15 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
musicdoc522 wrote:

Ed
Ed:

A metronome will really start to make those things stand out more. I used to struggle with that tremendously (still do to some extent). The use of a metronome was VERY helpful. I had a hard time trying learn to play along with one, but it gets easier, and it really does help.

Cheers!

:)
Ed,

MJ is right, but I want to add here from recent experience that once you have your timing in good shape and move on to something more difficult for you (especially something with the left hand), you must actively maintain your right hand skills and timing.

Actively maintain means playing some with a metronome every day, and practicing basic strumming patterns to the metronome every day.

In the interest of keeping it short and not jacking your thread, I will just tell you I can't find the words to tell you just how screwed up I got by ignoring my right hand once I had strumming patterns and timing mastered.

Be one with the 'nome, my friend. Or be a beginner forever.

wrench

AndyT

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:53 pm

Strumming is my major malfunction. I'm working on it but it really requires more time than I actually have, so I tend to slack off on it so I can spend time here on the forum.

You really need daily practice using strumming patterns with a metronome. You can learn it without, but it will take twice as long.

jayswett

Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:07 pm

Hey Gang,

This is simple- the default way of playing anything is that the downs are on the beats and the ups are between the beats (on the 'ands'). The fastest notes in the song, either eighths or possibly sixteenths, are continuous alternating strokes. Then the next fastest, quarters or eighths, would be consecutive downs.

There are exceptions but this is ALWAYS the starting point.

Neil

musicdoc522

Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:12 pm

i FIGURED THIS WAS PROBABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF PLAYING THAT I NEED TO WORK ON. The metronome comes out tomorrow and I will learn to use it. Any suggestions on exercises using the metronome. thanks to all.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic