Need help please. Find this Song/riff.

Neil replies to questions from our members.
bob65

Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:14 pm

I've had on my wish list for a long time a Gibson Les Paul Supreme, (to add to my Fender GA-45 SCE) and while searching reviews on the guitar, I ran across this demo of what the Supreme sounds like "clean".

As soon as I heard the example I knew I had heard this familiar beginning of this song, so much so when I picked up my guitar...to my surprise I "remembered" how to play it immediately.

The problem is ...I can't for the life of me remember "WHAT" song it is!!! I even emailed Gibson, since I thought it must be an original from a band that plays with the Les Paul, but...no help.

Tried to upload .mp3 of intro of song but couldn't, so quickly downloaded Power Tab Editor 1.7 and without reading instructions...lol...put the tab together with hopes of it making sense.

So, Neil...with your vast knowledge of so many songs, I hope you will end my agony trying to get the brain to finally figure out what song it is.

Fingers Crossed

Gtr I
Q E E E E E E E E E E E E E E Q E E E E E E E E E E E E E E
|--------0-------------0-------0-|--------0-------|-------0-------0--|
|------0---0---------1-------3---|------0---0-----|-----1-------3----|
|----0-------0-----0-------2-----|----0-------0---|---0-------2------|
|--------------2---------0-------|--------------2-|---------0--------|
|----------------3---------------|----------------|-3----------------|
|-0------------------------------|-0--------------|------------------|

E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E Q E E E E E E E E E E E E E E
|---------0---------------0-----|--------0-------|-------0-------0---|
|-----1-----1---1-----3-----3---|------0---0-----|-----1-------3-----|
|---0---0-----0-----2---2-----2-|----0-------0---|---0-------2-------|
|-----------------0-------------|--------------2-|---------0---------|
|-3-----------------------------|----------------|-3-----------------|
|-------------------------------|-0--------------|-------------------|

Duration Legend
---------------
W - whole; H - half; Q - quarter; E - 8th; S - 16th; T - 32nd; X - 64th; a - acciaccatura
+ - note tied to previous; . - note dotted; .. - note double dotted

Thanks for your time,

Bob

BigBear

Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:31 pm

bob65 wrote:
I've had on my wish list for a long time a Gibson Les Paul Supreme, (to add to my Fender GA-45 SCE) and while searching reviews on the guitar, I ran across this demo of what the Supreme sounds like "clean".

As soon as I heard the example I knew I had heard this familiar beginning of this song, so much so when I picked up my guitar...to my surprise I "remembered" how to play it immediately.

The problem is ...I can't for the life of me remember "WHAT" song it is!!! I even emailed Gibson, since I thought it must be an original from a band that plays with the Les Paul, but...no help.

So, Neil...with your vast knowledge of so many songs, I hope you will end my agony trying to get the brain to finally figure out what song it is.

Fingers Crossed

Bob
Bob- first of all welcome to the program!! Your first post, good job! Could I ask you to slide over to the Please Introduce Yourself thread, start a new thread, and tell us a little about you, where you live, how old you are, what are your musical tastes and where you are on your musical journey ie. pro, band member, beginner, played for 87 years etc. We've all done it and it's painless!

Next, can you post a link to that song you're trying to discover? Can't help you without listening to it! :silly:

Anyway, welcome again and let us know if we can ever help you. There's lots of great people and info on this site. Some of it is even useful! LOL!

Cheers! :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:41 pm

Hi Bob and welcome. I'm guessing you meant to post a clip of the song and it didn't work? Well this calls for my special talent which I haven't mentioned before. I was listing to a BBC Desert Island Discs raido programm many years back and Uri Geller was the guest. Guests are allowed to take a number of records to their desert island. So the interviewer asks Uri, "what's your all time favourite song?" And I answer instantly: "Meloncholy Man by the Moody Blues". And I was dead right. Now, to this day, I have no idea how I knew that because I didn't guess, I KNEW it!
But as to your tune Bob, nothings coming......... :-)

BigBear

Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:48 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
And I answer instantly: "Meloncholy Man by the Moody Blues". And I was dead right.
Great song that I haven't heard in years. Question of Balance?

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:57 pm

Indeed, my friend, Question of Balance. I still can't get over how I just knew it was the song.... maybe I sub consciously clocked Uri to be a Moody's fan, no idea!

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:33 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Indeed, my friend, Question of Balance. I still can't get over how I just knew it was the song.... maybe I sub consciously clocked Uri to be a Moody's fan, no idea!
Welcome to the Twilight zone doo doo doo doo.

It was Geller reaching out to you....

As for riff i'm searching but nope not yet...

Chasplaya

Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:41 pm

This might be it, no riff just him noodling, he is a guitarist of 30yrs experience, works in a music shop. Influenced by Dave Gilmour, Golden Earing.

One more.

There are 3 actual takes of songs in this one though.

bob65

Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:47 pm

Thanks all for the quick feedback...had the message editor open while I did the tabs....revisit my first post, and see if the tabs make sense.

Link to original Gibson site, changed..so no go there..the one that I found again didn't have demo sounds

Goes something like this...

Em C D Em C D C D in a picking fashion

Gtr I
Q E E E E E E E E E E E E E E Q E E E E E E E E E E E E E E
|--------0-------------0-------0-|--------0-------|-------0-------0--|
|------0---0---------1-------3---|------0---0-----|-----1-------3----|
|----0-------0-----0-------2-----|----0-------0---|---0-------2------|
|--------------2---------0-------|--------------2-|---------0--------|
|----------------3---------------|----------------|-3----------------|
|-0------------------------------|-0--------------|------------------|

E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E Q E E E E E E E E E E E E E E
|---------0---------------0-----|--------0-------|-------0-------0---|
|-----1-----1---1-----3-----3---|------0---0-----|-----1-------3-----|
|---0---0-----0-----2---2-----2-|----0-------0---|---0-------2-------|
|-----------------0-------------|--------------2-|---------0---------|
|-3-----------------------------|----------------|-3-----------------|
|-------------------------------|-0--------------|-------------------|

Duration Legend
---------------
W - whole; H - half; Q - quarter; E - 8th; S - 16th; T - 32nd; X - 64th; a - acciaccatura
+ - note tied to previous; . - note dotted; .. - note double dotted

Thanks,

Bob

AndyT

Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:02 pm

How about this?

AndyT

Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:13 pm

Chas, you cheated. You started searching before I even got to read the thing! LOL

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic