where do I start?

Neil replies to questions from our members.
Chasplaya

Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi, I'm a new member, and thought I would be somewhere between beginner and intermediate skills. However, just looked at the video for "What Child is this" and realize, I need to memorize each string and the notes on the top 6 frets. I've only strummed songs, never fingerpicked, therefore I was lost. Big question is, where should I start my lessons and how do I plan my progress. I probably need to unlearn bad habits and practice correct techniques.
Thanks, Chan

wrench

Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:55 pm

Chan,

Welcome to TG. There is tremendous material for learning here, and we are very lucky to have a prodigious teacher in Neil Hogan, and a very supportive international community. Now that you made your first post, you will see what I mean very shortly.

Where to begin? Go to the TARGET Beginner Lessons. They are perfectly sequenced, and very productive in jump starting both your guitar knowledge and your guitar skills.

Take this advice, especially if you think you have a bad habit to break - heed every single one of Neil's words in those videos because everything he says there is fundamentally critical. There are no unimportant instructions there.

If you ever need any help, or can offer any help, please make your presence known here. It's very friendly, creative, and supportive place.

wrench

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:06 pm

Welcom from Switzerland Chan. Wrench's advice is good of course, alternatively you could just go to a song you've always wanted to play and just dive right in there.... It did ... like a kid in a candy shop for the first few days! Enjoy!
Chris

steve36

Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:31 pm

Thanks for your advise,
I've played guitar on and off again for 35 of my 53 years, but mostly learning cords, etc...I just completed the first beginners lesson! A very refreshing introduction, reinforcing some things I knew but never committed to memory. Maybe there is hope to learn a new song for Christmas after all!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic