Shredding time

Neil replies to questions from our members.
temo44

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:37 pm

Soo, with the new year coming up, I thought: "let's open another topic, cause I have something to ask! :lol: ".

I ran through the beginners lessons and I must say it went really smooth :blush: . But (as I read everywhere) you must take little steps to go further. I still practice the lessons to get the hang of the open chords :laugh: !

Now my next step is practicing a lvl 1-3 song called "don't fear the reaper"(damn it's a catchy beat/melody), but I want to add something to my daily routine practice, and that is starting with the barre chords!

I watched Neil's vids about them, and he said that you have to start with practicing to get a clean sound out the F chord(I can! woew :-) ) and then try to practice changing from a C chord to the F chord. Now I'm wondering if that is enough to begin practicing the barre chords? Or any other tips I can add to my routine?

Oh, also one other thing. My fingers are getting tougher. It's really strange, when I go over an object, it feels different with my left hand fingers than my right hand fingers... Kinda cool!
One thing that find strange(maybe it isn't), is that the palm of my hand is gettting sore really fast sometimes.. is that natural? I don't know If you guys get what I mean.. if it's not clear I'll make a picture of it!

Lavallee

Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:06 pm

Hi Temo, for your bar chord practice , I would suggest that you try some songs with open chords, but instead of using open chords, use the bar chords instead,. Then, when you are comfortable, alternate the open chords and bar chords (one open , one bar, one open, etc...). You have mentioned the F chord (which is a E shape with the bar), have you tried the A shape bar chords?

Marc

wiley

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:01 pm

temo44

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:03 am

@Lavallee No I haven't tried that barre chord yet... Was just experimenting with the full F chord. Thanks for the tip :-). By the way, going from a barre to an open chord is waaay easier :laugh:

@Wiley Hey that's a nice tip you got there. You're right that it's harder to push down the barre at the very first fret.
And the thumb thing I didn't know that! Thanks!

Also, do you have to practice to do the barre first and then the other fingers? Or doesn't it matter what to do first?

TGMatt

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:09 am

Hey mate

Great responses so far...just a slightly offbeat suggestion..

Rename the "practice routine".to something more imspirational...like shredding time, or something that us positively orientated..

That way when you remember its time to "practice"..it wont become a "routine" and be a drudge..language to yourself is everything....

Now back to our normal programming

wiley

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:11 am

wiley

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:51 pm

temo44

Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:13 am

Matt: I'm really sorry! I actually didn't mean routine in the sentence of: "pff, time for my practice again". I really love to spend my time practicing. I never had so much fun in picking up my guitar since I got member of TG. I really learn something here. And of course with a lot of nice people here that can help you :-). So I will try to change the name of the topic ;-). I just meant what kind of things I could do when practicing :blush: .

Wiley: When you guys mean A shape, is that the barre chord(with the barre finger on second fret) in an A minor shape?

I must admit, it's almost natural for me to lower my wrist and not do the baseballbat thing. Must be a postive thing ^^!

hm..On the other hand.. I have a problem with planting my barre finger first. Can't seem to get that right! :-(

Yamaha48

Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:49 am

Hello Timo,happy new year.
Thanks fore this new topic.
Don t fear the reaper,i try to play the tune.
I play it not up to speed.
Bar chords not simpel,give it the time.

Greet Anton

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:40 pm

Hi Temo,
PLanting the Barre finger first was not natural for me at first either but its worth persevering with, i've almost got it now lol. Repetition is the answer a good barre chord song for this is Sister Golden Hair lots of barres pick a section and repeat till bored then repeat some more, play it slow, real slow and over emphasize the placing of the barre finger and place the other finger slowly after , also pump thi fingers up and down on a barre and try to do the barre finger first

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic