Never Going Back Again

Neil replies to questions from our members.
powderfinger

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:07 am

If you decide to cappo this song on the 4th fret instead of the sixth (better key for my voice) tuning the low "E" to "C" and the "A" to "G" still sounds right. But, if you place the cappo one more fret down, (the 3rd fret) it suddenly sounds like something might be wrong. Maybe the low "C" is just so low it sounds not right.
I see Lindsey Buckingham play it cappoed on the 3rd fret on YouTube.

richardk

Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:45 am

Lindsey plays the song in a different tuning afaik, but I believe in the same key as the lesson vid (which would mean capo on the 4th, I believe). With the E-string tuned down to C, I find that I usually have to retune when I apply or move the capo but not by that much.

mort2989

Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:55 am

Yes I´ll try it in the 4th fret. You´re right it yeaser for the voice.

Cheers
Morten

mort2989

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:44 am

Hi Powderfinger

I`ve played "Never going back again" Tun the 6´th string to a D and put capo on 4´th fret. Put a little bare on the 4 higher strings(D,G,H,E) and then play as usual, as neil show in the lesson and Tab. Then you also have your guitar tuned to play the little beatyful piece that Linssey Buckingham sometimes play in between.

Good luck

Morten :)

mort2989

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:45 am

mort2989 wrote:
Hi Powderfinger

I`ve played "Never going back again" Tun the 6´th string to a D and put capo on 4´th fret. Put a little bare on the 4 higher strings(D,G,B,E) and then play as usual, as neil show in the lesson and Tab. Then you also have your guitar tuned to play the little beatyful piece that Linssey Buckingham sometimes play in between.

Good luck

Morten :)

powderfinger

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:59 pm

I'll try that. The little lead that Lindsey breaks off into now, was that pretty easy to figure out? I need to tackle that soon.
Powderfinger

mort2989

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:21 am

Hi Povderfinger

I´m here trying to play it the way i told you. perhaps you can get something out of this.

Hope you can use it

Good luck

powderfinger

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:39 pm

Morten,
Wow, Well that was pretty cool! OK That makes sense. You don't have to tune the 5th string to "A" because you are now down two frets(one whole note) and you tune the 6th string to "D" instead of "C" for the same reason. So, strings 1-4 have to be barred to keep those strings like Neil's "sixth fret version". And the objective is to be able to play the lead easier. There is a tradeoff because it's harder to play barring that sixth fret manually but it may be worth it. I'll goof around with that set up and get back to you. Thank you very much!
Powderfinger (Joe)

powderfinger

Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:11 pm

Morten,
I worked on it for a few days but the barre reqiured on the sixth fret of the first 4 strings made the song too dificult for me to play (without a lot of work). I could not silence all four strings and play the tune at the same time. Some strings would "thud out". Don't you think in Neil's recommended tuning (sixth string "C" and fifth "G") and cappo on the 4th fret you could play the whole song Neil's way and still improvise a lead that sounded like your lead? I'm going to try that. That lead makes the song so rich. I've got to come up with something!
Powderfinger

mort2989

Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:49 am

hi Powderfinger

I don´t think that will work because in the last part of the "little piece" You´ll need the tunes deeper than the 6´th fret. But haven´t tryed to realy study that posibility??
Well anyway I think it´s hard too with the little barre on 4´th fret - specialy when you gonna do the stetch between 4 fret. I have to kind of turn the barrefinger a littlebit so it lay down :dry: .

I´ll bee glad to hear if you figure something out

Good work

Morten

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic