I've hit the wall.

Neil replies to questions from our members.
jayswett

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:39 am

The only thing that I will add to this discussion is this: If you feel suddenly that you aren't playing as well as have been playing in the recent past, you might consider having your guitar setup again at your local shop. Changes in the weather can result in subtle changes in the neck of you guitar, rendering it more difficult to play. I believe this phenomenon has been debated in the forum in the past, but I do think it's a real issue for some guitars. Sadly, mine is one of those guitars.

sws626

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:52 am

This is bound to happen from time to time. When it does, I try to turn off my critical judgment for the day and just push on with whatever's on my practice agenda.

Of course, it's possible there's a real physical problem of the sort Jay mentions. If the feeling persists, you might have it checked out. But it's also a normal part of the psychology of learning.

I've often been amazed by a later jump in progress after one of these slumps -- as though there was something going on under the surface, but it just didn't manifest itself in what I took to be competent playing at the time.

sbutler

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:31 pm

For almost as many years as I've been alive, (before my recent re-introduction to my guitar again), my passion was archery. It is what I did to satisfy my competitive nature, my precision nature, and always the part of me that wanted a challenge. Shooting a bow is what I did for relaxation and it easily became my own little escape from reality.

However, from time to time, if I grabbed my gear and went to the back yard for a little practice and found that all of a sudden, I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, (even if I were standing inside it), I taught myself to just put the bow away and come back later that day, or the next, or maybe even a few days. Then later I would always find, that I was back to form and was as good as ever.

It took me a lot of years to learn this and before I did, if I pushed through my slumps, I not only created very bad habits, but pushing through them reinforced those habits. Habits like target panic are an addiction that are incredibly hard to break.

From all of this, I learned that archery is probably 98% mental. No matter how much poundage you are drawing from your bow, the act of accurately shooting, is all mental. Your brain controls everything.

When you think about it, playing an instrument is much the same way. It may appear to any observer that there is a lot of motion going on and therefore must be a lot of physical stuff happening. But I learned through my competitive archery that its almost all mental.

So, if you've had a bad day at work, a confrontation with a dumb driver on the way home, or stress of any kind, I truly believe it can show up in your hands and fingers. It may be the very best way to detect that you've got something else going on in your life. It might not be a big deal, and a couple hours of rest or a nice nap may be just what you need. But I certainly won't let it cripple my guitar practice.

Anyway, another perspective for what its worth.

Scott

Mauro

Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:58 pm

I hit the wall this week. Work stress and everything else gets in the way of letting loose. I felt fantastic playing tonight. I found a couple songs I really like and got decent tabs and just had fun playing with the videos on you tube!!!!!

Mauro

Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:58 pm

I hit the wall this week. Work stress and everything else gets in the way of letting loose. I felt fantastic playing tonight. I found a couple songs I really like and got decent tabs and just had fun playing with the videos on you tube!!!!!

Mauro

Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:00 pm

You hit the nail on the head Scott!

Mauro

Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:02 pm

Don't put it down play something fun and easy and don't worry about the technical stuff enjoy it isn't that why you are playing anyway!!

wiley

Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:56 pm

In Poker, we call this "Tilt". There's two sides of the coin, "Good Tilt" (when every thing seems to be going perfect and you can do no wrong), and "Bad Tilt" (When no matter what you do, you lose). Either way, you are 'out of balance'.

I've read just about every kind of scenario of what to do, the best advice I have ever seen is "Stay Focused". Things are going to happen, both good and bad. Walk away, stay at it, try harder (well, that's not really good advice) they all add up to the same thing, focus.

I had a good day yesterday, both with the guitar, Poker, and generally speaking. Wife's birthday after all. One of the songs I've been working on is "Silent Night", the instrumental Neil put up. Yesterday I could run down the neck and hit the big stretch, this morning no way!

Why? Seems yesterday my mind was clear, Things that needed to get done seemed to do themselves. The entire day was busy, with enjoyable task. To me, that's a nice way to start out, knowing what needs to happen and everything flying into place. Today, well...

I'm sitting here now, my Seagull looking at me, new strings and all. Nice and shiny, ready to go. Problem is, the day started out late, then just got worse. Now, my wrist hurts. Today was moving day for our youngest daughter, She didn't move far, couple miles down the road, plenty of help.

But man oh man, is it hot here. By nine this morning it was already climbing past 90f, high of 103. The traffic was sick (20 mile trip, usually 1/2 hour max, took over an hour). The place she was moving to wasn't open so she had to wait to get a key. The Cable/Phone/Internet dude was late. The truck was on empty so I had an unexpected stop, I grabbed something too heavy and twisted my wrist, etc. etc.....

johnrfeeney

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:25 am

hey not only hitting the wall is common but how would you like to be turning 55 (tomorrow) and because of practicing every day you start to get arthritis in your left index finger and it aches all day long

;) COMES WITH THE TERRITORY

we keep it going and keep encouraging each of us

Hey guys I have a question to ask you:

off the thread

I have a new Martin D-28 and a new Taylor 816CE -- personally I play the Martin D-35 100% - the others just don't have the sound of the 35.
I am looking at selling the two to obtain a Martin D-41 Special.
Any input? thanks

john

Mauro

Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:55 pm

This is for John. If you have Osteo Arthritis (fingers) as I do and I'm 51 you can control it. I try not to take any prescription meds and have had extremely good luck using Homeopathic medicines. I am just starting yoga because of an injury and finding this beneficial in other ways as well. Anyway for the fingers try taking Icelandic Health Joint relief formula I guarantee it will help. It may take a fews weeks for you to notice but it will help immensely.

http://www.icelandhealth.com/All-Produc ... ftgel.html

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic