Double barres suck!

Neil replies to questions from our members.
lueders

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:09 am

Lavallee wrote:
[quote]Hi Michele, I think you should reconsider getting used to the pinky for the small bar or least practice it at the same time you would practice the ring finger as well (sorry Cori if my opinion differs :( )

Marc, yeah hey I'm with ya. :) I'm pickin' up what you're laying down. I think what you said about devoting both the pinky & ring "A" shape barre fingerings to muscle memory is a real good idea. I just know that for me.. that the index & pinky is (generally speaking) the default way to play "A" shaped barres. I agree with you about the shuffle stuff. In those cases you definitely have go about it the other way. It all depends on context and what is needed to facilitate the next musical passage.

On the other issue, :dry: going from an "A" shape to an open E minor? A full second position E minor? (probably not that one) A seventh position "Am" shaped E minor? What E minor are we talking about? I am guessing it is the open E minor variety?

Lavallee

Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:14 pm

Sorry Cori, I meant a E shape bar chord to A shape bar chord, (the Em was a typo). Michele was asking how to change quickly to a Bar A shape to a Bar E shape quickly . I was trying to explain that using the ring finger for the A shape instead of the pinky was another reason where the ring finger should be selected in lieu of the pinky.

Cheers

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic