Just curious

Neil replies to questions from our members.
Hydroman52

Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:09 pm

Hello Bryan,

I can relate to your story regarding your history of playing the guitar. I started out in my teens and took bluegrass lesson. My guitar went with me everywhere as I cured my wanderlust in my earlier life. Then, it was put on the back burners and just recently rekindled. I have been with TG for about a year.

The bluegrass lessons early in my life taught me the important basics (how to hold a pick, proper fretting, basic scales, flat picking, hammer-ons, pick-offs, etc.) and they instantly showed in my playing at the time. You will probably find this is true with you as you explore this site. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the money needed to continue the lessons at the time. Now, after joining the Target program, my ability has once again increased noticeably. I discovered that the skills that were taught to me earlier in life were correct (that was good), but what really has propelled me the fastest at this point is learning more theory. This is allowing me to figure more things out on my own. The other bonus to beefing up on the theory is that I can now see and appreciate how clever many songwriters can be. I'm sure that, had I continued with my teen lessons, theory would have worked into the curriculum, but I really wasn't ready for it at the time, as I would have considered it boring and unnecessary (there are only two words for my thinking that way . . . . . . "Me stupid!").

It’s all great fun, now. Welcome to you . . . . you have come to the right place. You also have the other tie with having purchased your guitar from Neil. Sounds like you are pleased with that choice. Your instincts are probably serving you right on your choice in joining TG, too.

Hydroman52

bonanzaflyer

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:35 pm

TGNeil wrote:
Hi Bryan and welcome to TG,

I am sure your guitar came from our store, the Los Gatos Guitar Gallery, which I ran with some partners in the late 1990s. We set out to be a boutique store, mostly carrying hand built guitars by small companies and solo builders. This was how I came to meet people like Mark Blanchard and Ed Claxton, among many others. We also carried Santa Cruz Guitars and ones built by Dana Bourgeois. I particularly remember the JOMV as it was an exceptional guitar. It seems certain that I would have been the one to play a bunch of different guitars for you, or any other customer, but particularly for a beginner who couldn't play anything yet.

I am glad you found your way here and hope we can quickly improve your playing.

Neil
Cool. I thought it was you but it has been such a long time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic